Staff Software Engineer, Platform Services
Engineers on our Platform Services team embody the mindsets of Infrastructure as Code and a Devops Culture. You should be someone who loves blending software with infrastructure, always with an eye towards scalable self-service frameworks. You will play a vital role in architecting and implementing our next-generation application pipelines (CI & CD) and PaaS offerings (cloud + docker) to support our rapidly growing engineering staff and applications (including back-end, web, and native mobile). You will also ensure that teams have ownership of the entire lifecycle of their services, as well as the visibility and tools needed to make effective, continual change.
A Staff Engineer represents exceptional technical acumen mixed with an ability to influence and inspire change in our engineering organization. You should be someone who loves being a hands-on individual contributor spending at least 50% of your time maintaining and evolving our systems and tooling. You should also be excited to spend some of your time working on code reviews, architectural discussions, and driving good decisions within the technical staff. You are a senior member of the team who wants to have high impact; no matter if you want a hands-on career or desire the challenges of management.
What the Job Entails
- Hands-on contributor and thought leader across the entire service lifecycle spectrum (spanning development, integration, deployment, and runtime envs)
- Support and evolve our PaaS offerings & environments (think container runtimes, environment parity for dev & prod, infrastructure abstraction and resource stitching)
- Stay on top of industry trends and make pragmatic decisions as to their applicability to our environment, with an emphasis on scale and automation
- Evangelize and advocate PaaS best practices both within the team and throughout the engineering department. This includes giving presentations, participating in working groups, proactively engaging teams with informal chats, plus mentoring and training
- Take an ownership role in the platform service offerings and ensure they are enabling teams to move quick and focus on providing business value
- Code using primarily PHP and Scala
Our Ideal Candidate
- Software engineering is your core discipline, but you’ve specialized in back-end platform scaling.
- 5+ years of platform engineering experience as a technical contributor.
- Expert foundation in OOP, design patterns, and programming languages.
- Solid understanding of CI best practices and tooling, specifically Jenkins.
- Strong knowledge of linux, docker, configuration management systems, and git.
- Experience operating at scale and ability to provide examples with depth.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Thrives in a fast moving, agile environment.
- Loves web and/or mobile technology spaces.
- Opinionated and still able to compromise.
- BS Degree in Computer Science or similar technical field
Back to top