Senior Software Engineer, Backend - Culver City, CA
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
We are a growing engineering team, yet we offer a great deal of autonomy and flexibility. If you're a person who enjoys working with a lot of freedom, but knows how to take full ownership of a project and execute with quality, then this is the role for you.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What the Job Entails
- Contribute to our core services and data aggregation layer; meeting our need for scale, quality, and rapid iteration.
- Build out high quality integrations with other internal services leveraging Credit Karma’s rich financial data set.
- Work closely with our external partners to acquire new data to enrich our core user experience.
- Develop automation throughout our stack; through our build & deployment processes, testing, monitoring, data pipeline, and beyond.
- Work with front-end developers to complete end-to-end solutions and iterate rapidly as we experiment and learn.
- Willingness to learn new skills as our product and technology footprint grows.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Proficient in at least one dynamic server-side language: Java, Scala, Python, C#, Ruby or similar!
- A solid foundation in OOP, design patterns, algorithms, programming languages, networking and Linux operating systems.
- Expert understanding of web application internals and scalability at any tier.
- Strong understanding of deployment strategies and production infrastructure needs.
- Experience in API design and building robust and extendable client/server contracts.
- Proficiency in SQL, relational database schema design and ORM technologies & concepts.
- Strong communication and leadership abilities.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum practices.
- An interest in mentoring and coaching is a plus!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth.
As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated. Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top