Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Platform Software UK
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
We are operating as a well funded and supported “startup” within Credit Karma with enormous opportunity to move fast and have high impact. Your role with Platform Software is to build and operate the core components of Credit Karma UK operations: developer platform, service interactions, and security services. Think: Authentication (OAuth2), Authorization, Single Sign On, Encryption, Key Rotation, PII management, Secret Management, IAM, Service Mesh, Service Discovery. Part of the mission is to integrate with the US based teams to absorb and build on top to the services built to power US and Canada. Platform Software is central to CK’s production strategy, and offers plenty of growth challenges.
Reliability is paramount for us as in any hiccup in our services can create ripples through all of CK micro services, impacting our members experience as well as CK’s bottom line.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What You'll Do
- Absorb, improve and build on top of existing runbooks and technical documentation
- Create runbooks and documentation around UK specific setups, topology and tooling
- Define technical requirements, instill best practices, build tools to build best in class monitoring, alerting and production debugging
- Own, operate and provision, in partnership with our infrastructure team, Secret Manager (Hashicorp Vault), HSMs, Kubernetes/Docker deployment, CI/CD and integration testing infrastructure, service mesh (nginx/Envoy), and edge routing infrastructure
- Own our business continuity, ensuring our backups SLA through automation and ensuring the security of these backups through several turnkeys processes
- Own the second level on call rotation for the services teams for issues requiring production access
What's Great About It
- You’ll build something that has the potential to positively affect millions of people around the world
- The work you do will have significant impact and visibility across Credit Karma
- This role brings the best of both worlds: the experience of growing early-stage products and businesses with the support of a successful later-stage internet company
- And, of course, you get all those awesome company perks that you probably already read about
Experience We're Looking For
- 7+ years of professional experience in server-side website development or in a DevOps role
- Deep understanding of at least two of the following: Splunk, Hashicorp Vault, networking, MySQL, Docker, Kubernetes, or cloud infrastructure
- Built tooling to improve reliability of systems, automated remediation of issues, or improve scalability
- 4+ years experience working in production environments at scale, and want to improve our availability and performance
- Writing a script should come as second nature to you, and you should have experience with Python, Bash or Go. High level language knowledge such as Scala and Java are a great plus
- Experience with a configuration management system like Puppet, Chef or Salt (We use Salt)Clear communication of technical details when speaking or writingExperience with GCP and/or AWS
- Collaborative and curious personality, eager to learn
- Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look here to review our policy-- if you have any questions, please direct them to UKfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth.
As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated. Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top