Senior Database Administrator
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
As a Senior Database Administrator you will be instrumental in the performance and scale of Credit Karma’s infrastructure. We have a distributed architecture utilising MySQL for the delivery of our product. You’ll be working to improve the availability and reliability of these key systems, analysing performance, and taking our infrastructure to the next level.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What the Job Entails
- A deep understanding of Postgres and MySQL database management.
- Spotting performance issues by looking at SQL statements, and can recommend making schema improvements based on the output of EXPLAIN plans.
- Preventing data loss in the case of a system failure using replication technologies.
- Improving and developing our topology for Postgres and MySQL management systems.
- Implementing and improving distributed database architectures in both Postgres and MySQL.
- Automating processes and systems with Python or Bash to improve MTTR, and initial deployment.
- When there is a production issue, you use your experience and knowledge to help us resolve the issue in a short period of time.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You have 4 or more years of database administration with Mysql.
- Solid understanding of database system internals, and their impact on query and system performance.
- You have 4 or more years experience working in production environments at scale, and want to improve our availability and performance.
- Writing a script should come as second nature to you, and you should have experience with Python, Bash, Ruby, or Perl.
- Systems often need to be reconfigured, so you should have experience with a configuration management system like Puppet, Chef or Salt. (We use Salt.)
- You should be able to clearly communicate technical details when speaking or writing.
- This position is part of a well established team, and you should be excited about working closely with them, and product developers.
- Working in the cloud is a little different, so it would be great if you have some experience with AWS or GCP.
- Our environment often has new challenges and technologies, so we want a candidate who is excited to learn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth.
As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated. Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top