Senior Data Scientist, Engineering
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for everything related to their financial goals, including helping them with improving their credit, identity monitoring, applying for credit cards, and shopping for loans (car, home and personal) -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,000 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
Credit Karma’s fast growing Data Sciences team is seeking an experienced Senior Data Scientist. This role will allow a motivated individual to make a significant impact across the organization by delivering the most relevant content to our users and by helping drive accelerated revenue growth.
What the job entails
- Partner with stakeholders across the organization to identify high-impact opportunities to leverage our extensive data to better serve our users.
- Drive the creation of comprehensive datasets encompassing user profiles and behaviors, and incorporating a wide variety of signals and data types.
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Build complex predictive models to substantially improve and continuously optimize user engagement and revenue generation.
- Rapidly develop proof-of-concept prototypes to prove out hypotheses.
- Reach across multiple functions, such as Product Management and Data Engineering, to implement the models into production and to monitor their performance.
- Motivate and mentor other data scientists to grow their skills and careers.
Our ideal candidate
- Advanced Degree (Ph.D./MS) in Statistics or a related quantitative discipline.
- 6+ years of experience building and implementing complex models in a fast-paced corporate environment, ideally dealing with problems relevant to revenue, product, and/or marketing.
- Experience with advanced modeling techniques, such as collaborative filtering, matrix factorization, time series analysis, and mixed-effect models, and learning techniques such as boosting and random forests.
- Expert knowledge of R, Python, and SQL, or similar industry standard tools used for large-scale data analysis and modeling.
- Experience with Machine Learning and Big Data technologies such as Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, and Spark is a big plus.
- Programming experience in Scala, Java, or C++, and familiarity with UNIX command line and core tools would be very helpful.
- Recent experience with a consumer facing online company and/or prior exposure to consumer financial products is highly desirable.
- Self-motivated, results oriented, enthusiastic, and a creative thinker.
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye single to fostering an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our guiding mission is strong. Join us!
Back to top