Senior Data Engineer
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Analytics Systems team, you’ll work with a talented team of engineers to improve Credit Karma’s data pipeline that powers our recommendation systems, enterprise tools, and data warehousing. You’ll help to build a general, secure, scalable, fast, and high throughput data pipeline to process many terabytes of data a day. We are very passionate about performance, correctness, and data quality. The team spends their time day to day developing new pipelines or features that make it seamless for data to be moved throughout our infrastructure. This includes working with cutting edge tools such as Scala, Kafka, Spark, Akka and Google Cloud. If you enjoy working in a collaborative environment where everyone can have their say while still being able to set and hit deadlines, then this is the role for you.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
- Work with analysts and data scientists to define processes and standards to inform system design, transform their needs into streaming or batch processing
- Design infrastructure and systems to scale easily as data ingest grows
- Implement new data pipeline features with verified high quality from unit test coverage and production monitoring
- Focus on data quality! Detect data/analytics quality issues and implement bug fixes and data validation for prevention
- Help understand our day to day operations for continuous improvement of production systems
Our Ideal Candidate
- 5+ years experience with Big Data technologies
- Experience with Scala/Java, Spark, Kafka, Python or demonstrated ability to pick up new technology quickly
- Fundamental knowledge about databases and strong SQL skills
- Familiar with Google Cloud ecosystem such as BigQuery, GCS, DataProc, etc
- DevOps experience a plus, specifically Docker, Terraform, Jenkins/CircleCI, cloud services
- Enjoys working collaboratively; CK’s values include empathy and helpfulness
- Able to estimate and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience working with cloud technologies
- Experience scaling data throughput or building low latency streaming pipelines
- Experience solving for data quality
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top