Senior Capacity Engineer
As a Senior Capacity Engineer, you’ll use your technical knowledge to help the engineering organization analyze and improve the performance of their services. You should be able understand how to size the capacity required to operate a service at scale, and understand the performance of the underlying infrastructure. Our ideal candidate should be excited about finding optimizations, be able to model and forecast capacity requirements, and be motivated to learn and grow with the organization. This is our first Capacity Engineer, so you will define and deliver our initial methodologies, process, and tools. You will play a critical role in the predictable delivery of capacity while working to make sure we can afford it.
What the Job Entails
- Develop a deep understanding of our production services, and provide the platform engineering feedback in both observed performance and available capacity.
- Identify scaling bottlenecks and provide feedback to the engineering teams as to how they can improve them.
- Develop and improve automated load and performance tests.
- Build and evolve the site wide capacity model that covers services from the product, data, mobile, and platform engineering teams.
- Work with the Infrastructure and Networking teams to ensure we have the right amount of capacity at all times
Our Ideal Candidate
- 5-7 years as a capacity, performance, and/or systems engineer at a fast growing technology company.
- Has a solid understanding of performance analysis methodologies, like USE and TSA.
- Has experience building capacity forecast and reports describing current resource utilization.
- Is able to script large portions of his/her work in python or perl; we believe automation is important.
- Is able to identify and explain and performance or capacity problems on a Linux system using tools like perf, iostat, and bcc.
- Is familiar with identifying, diagnosing, and presenting capacity relating to system and network architectures.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent fields
- This role involves a lot of cross team communication with finance and engineering. You should be able to work with both, and articulate your ideas and positions in speech and writing.
Back to top