Engineering Manager, Database
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for everything related to their financial goals, including helping them with improving their credit, identity monitoring, applying for credit cards, and shopping for loans (car, home and personal) -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,000 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
As a Senior Database Administrator, you will be instrumental in the performance and scale of Credit Karma's infrastructure. We have a distributed architecture utilizing MySQL for the delivery of our product.
You'll be working to improve the availability and reliability of these key systems, analyzing performance, and taking our infrastructure to the next level.
- Provides leadership for the design, development, and deployment of database technologies and services.
- Work closely with the engineering teams to address architecture and reliability requirements as well as building a functional capability roadmap.
- Hire talented engineers and provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to the team.
- Participate in key technical and design discussions within the team as well as the broader engineering organization.
- Partner with key business stakeholders to prioritize work and create products to support our data platform.
- 8+ years of experience in a web-centric Linux production environment building and architecting Infrastructure to scale modern web applications and supporting components.
- 3+ years managing, growing and developing database engineering teams responsible for production workloads.
- Solid understanding of database system internals, and their impact on query and system performance as well as site health.
- Experience running Infrastructure at scale; utilizing Configuration Management and automation to ensure repeatability and reliability (We use Salt).
- Working in the cloud is a paradigm shift, so cloud experience is a plus.
- Have a solid understanding of both relational and other database technologies.
- Programming experience in Python, Go or other OOP languages is a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively vertically and horizontally within the organization via demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
Back to top