Sports Director/News Anchor
The Sports Director/News Anchor is the station’s lead Sports Anchor and also anchors news on KIRO 7. This position helps oversee and manage the station’s Sports Department and sports coverage. The Sports Director will go beyond daily highlights and interviews with a focus on breaking local sports news of high interest. In addition, the Sports Director is passionate about sports coverage and engagement on social media. As a News Anchor, the person is able to anchor and report credibly with the highest journalistic standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Anchors and reports sports for station’s newscasts and sports shows.
- Writes sports copy, orders graphics and helps produce memorable sportscasts and sports shows.
- Regularly posts content and engages with audiences on all social media platforms.
- Writes sports stories for station’s digital products.
- Edits video/sound as needed.
- Breaks and enterprises sports and news stories of high interest.
- Supervises and manages the Sports Department and sports coverage throughout the year.
- Is consistently up-to-date on current news stories, on a local, national, and international level.
- Communicates final copy editing concerns to the show executive in charge to be sure copy has the maximum clarity, continuity, correctness and sparkle.
- Analyzes and interprets information to improve the audience’s understanding.
- Contributes to idea sessions in the development or improvement of news products.
- Assists in the preparation of entries for broadcast news awards.
- Maintains a professional, working relationship with all KIRO News team members.
- Alerts the KIRO News Director to any news coverage that may cause problems for KIRO legally, corporately, or in the community.
- Completes specific projects as requested by the News Director or Managing Editor.
- Anchors a minimum of 2 days per week with the expectation to Anchor as needed to cover for absences of fellow Anchors, reading copy, ad-libbing between elements, introducing live and taped reports and features, and interviewing on-air guests.
- Connects with local communities by meeting with local groups and representing KIRO 7 at important events in and around Seattle.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university in Journalism or Communications preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience as a Sports Reporter and/or News Reporter with anchor experience is required.
- Local knowledge of Washington State is preferred.
Cox Media Group (CMG) is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that also includes the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps – the country’s biggest television rep firm – Gamut, and Videa. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations; more than 60 radio stations; six daily newspapers, more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and nearly 15 million radio listeners. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-WA-Seattle-2807 3rd Ave
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Meet Some of Cox Enterprises's Employees
Senior Sales Research Analyst, Cox Media Group
Monica does more than simply research analytical data behind her computer. She’s a fearless leader in the diversity, inclusion, and millennial initiatives at Cox Media Group.
Back to top