This is a chance to be part of winning team in a winning sports city! WPXI is in search of a Sports Anchor/Reporter who will anchor, report, produce and edit for station’s sportscasts and sports shows.
The successful candidate must be able to take our coverage beyond highlights and interviews. We want someone who can break stories, while also tell emotionally compelling ones.
Owning and building the station’s brand on social media is a must! If you’re not passionate, this is not a job for you. Candidates should have at least three years of experience.
WPXI is owned by Cox Media Group.
Be a part of a company that will invest in you, while covering the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, and more!
Anchoring/Producing – 40%
- Assist in writing, pre-production and broadcast preparation; making certain stories are clear/accurate and represent the station’s benchmark goals
- Produce sports segments
- Deliver copy on camera in a credible and professional manner, as scheduled or needed
- Use creativity and imagination, and exercise independent professional judgment in investigating, reporting, interviewing, writing, editing and delivering news stories and assigned events
- Maintain a well-groomed, professional appearance
- Go beyond just telling highlights.
- Write for station websites and maintain social media pages
- Contribute enterprise story ideas daily
- Maintain relationships with sources and break stories
- Edit stories as needed
- Perform compelling and active live shots
- Drive to and from story locations as needed.
- Go beyond interviews. Find emotionally, compelling, enterprise stories.
- Deliver Process, Active and Enterprise stories
- Break stories on social media and wpxi.com.
- Build and maintain a social media following.
Contribute to editorial content/planning – 15%
- Attend and participate in editorial meetings, as scheduled
- Contribute to story ideas
- Attend scheduled meetings with General Manager, News Director, Operations Manager or other departmental managers/employees relating to job duties
- Attend and contribute to all big sports coverage event planning.
Public appearances/community affairs – 5%
- Professionally represent station at promotions and community affair events
- Participate in planning of said events
- Actively represent station through participation with outside charitable causes
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience is required.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university in Journalism or Communications preferred
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-PA-Pittsburgh-4145 Evergreen Rd
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Night Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Meet Some of Cox Enterprises's Employees
Senior Sales Research Analyst, Cox Media Group
Monica does more than simply research analytical data behind her computer. She’s a fearless leader in the diversity, inclusion, and millennial initiatives at Cox Media Group.
Back to top