Senior Political/Heartland Editor, Rare
Rare is lookingfor a visionary editor to build from scratch a new enterprise journalismteam and lead our coverage of heartland issues, particularly as theyintersect with Washington, the Trump presidency and the liberal-conservative dividein America. This is not a 9-to-5, Monday-through-Friday job. This isthe opportunity of a lifetime for the right experienced journalist to createsomething new and better, guarding against the blind spots and groupthink ofthe political establishment and national press.
With the supportof our sole investor, Cox Media Group, Rare.us has found success in the socialmedia age with a mix of curation, uplifting original content and a youthful,liberty-minded point of view. Rare had 18 million unique visitors inJanuary 2017, making it one of the largest news sites in the U.S. Theelection of Donald Trump feels like something new and different, and it excitesus. Whether you see a trainwreck unfolding or a much-needed (albeit messy)disruption of Washington norms, you can’t look away. We see an opening, a“rare” opportunity.
Many in theheartland have lost trust in Washington. They want plain-spoken news andinformation with a bias toward common sense and a focus on heartland issues.They are looking to improve their lives and for ways to be more connected intheir communities. They trust their gut and believe America is the greatestcountry on earth, but it’s really the average Joe who makes it great. We see acynical media and political establishment that stokes fears and stirs emotionsover things that don’t really matter to them. We reject that cynicism and wantto build a team that holds Washington and the national media accountable. Weneed the right editor to help shape this initiative.
- Abody of work that exemplifies the kinds of heartland stories we want to tell atRare
- Workedas a data journalist for a national news organization
- Experiencetelling stories on multiple platforms
- An entrepreneurialstreak
- Excellentnews judgment, attention to detail
- Strongleadership abilities to inspire and drive a team
- Strongopinions about how a successful digital news operation ought to work
- Anabundance of story ideas
- Anunderstanding of the social landscape that drives and engages audiences
- Anability to understand both the granular and the big picture
- Areally keen sense of news, what makes news and how to tell news to aconservative readership
- Howto successfully tell the same story to different audiences withoutsacrificing the truth
- Aneasy-going spirit, an aversion to drama and an ability to stay calm and focusedduring stressful situations
What you will do:
- Reportto the managing editor in Washington
- Writeand report
- Assignstories to writers
- Coordinatecontent channels with social/audience team
- Coachand direct writers on stories
- Workwith sister websites for continuity and efficacy
- Managefield of freelancers
- Workwith video department on ideas and execution
- 4-6years of digital reporting and editing experience
- Abilityto multitask and manage competing demands
- Passionfor the news and for the truth
- Comfortableon television
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America’s leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.
CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 32 million TV viewers, more than 4 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmedia.com
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-DC-Washington-1050 17th St NW
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Meet Some of Cox Enterprises's Employees
Senior Sales Research Analyst, Cox Media Group
Monica does more than simply research analytical data behind her computer. She’s a fearless leader in the diversity, inclusion, and millennial initiatives at Cox Media Group.
Back to top