Media Consultant – Cox Media
The Media Consultant - Generalist, Cox Media sells local commercial advertising on 50+ cable and/or broadcast networks and other media to new and existing clients. Identifies and makes cold calls on prospective clients, is accountable for meeting sales goals, servicing accounts after the sale is made, and for maintaining an up-to-date client database. Identifies the client's marketing needs, presents proposed campaigns, and negotiates terms, conditions, and pricing. Builds and maintains ongoing relationships with clients. Follows up and coordinating order processing through all phases of the commercial insertion process.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Sells local advertising and products on cable and/or broadcast networks to new and existing clients from a range of industries and business sizes. Leverages the position of Cox to influence clients' marketing strategies.
- Cultivates consulting relationships with clients and their ad agencies, forming customer relationships at multiple levels. Makes frequent contact; maintains in-depth knowledge of their business, industry and key competitors; regularly updates needs analysis; monitors ad campaign effectiveness and makes changes as required; and solves problems. May entertain clients.
- Identifies new prospective clients by observing other media, networking inside and outside of Cox, and looking for new businesses that might want to advertise in order to develop own client list. Prospecting (tasks 3 – 5) may take up 80% of time for new AEs.
- Cold calls prospective clients and tries to interest them in on-air advertising by explaining the process and benefits of advertising through Cox.
- Meets with prospective or existing clients in person to learn the client's advertising needs.
- Prepares sales proposals and presentations designed to meet individual client needs by reviewing rating data and other research; and consulting with internal resources as needed, primarily Marketing, Research, and Sales Support. [Proposal development]
- Delivers sales presentations regarding proposed advertising campaigns to prospective and existing clients.
- Negotiates the terms, conditions, and pricing of advertising campaigns with the client.
- Manages and coordinates communication between the client and the production department during the creation of the client's commercial (e.g. solves problems, develops concepts, monitors quality, sometimes writes scripts, ensures that ad copy supports the client's marketing plans, gathers information regarding what details are needed in the commercial, facilitates contact between client and production, sets up and attends initial meetings).
- Prepares weekly and monthly sales activity reports using software designed for that purpose (e.g., SalesMinder, AvailPro).
- Keeps client database up to date by recording all activities, transactions, and communications with clients.
- Creates opportunities to serve as a public representative and image builder of Cox in the local community in order to network and develop and maintain the presence of Cox in the community (e.g. promotes and/or attends non-profit events, serves as a member of the Chamber of Commerce and other local councils, becomes a member of the Ad Federation or American Marketing Association).
- Manages and coordinates fulfillment of client advertising orders (e.g., solves problems, develops concepts, monitors quality, ensures that ad copy supports the client's marketing plans, facilitates communication between client and production). Attends job-related training as well as strategic and/or development meetings with their Local Sales Manager.
- Participates in many internal meetings to create product packages, communicates and coordinates sales, reports on sales activities and the implementation of new products, solves problems, and keeps up-to-date with information about Cox.
- Complies with all published rate, package and pricing guidelines.
- Maintains collections to keep bad debt to an absolute minimum.
- Participates in the creation of processes required to sell, implement, and bill for new products.
- Must be able to multitask and manage all phases of the business sales cycle. Long learning curve (3 - 6 months) due to large portfolio of complex products.
- Continuous learning is required due to regular introduction of new products.
- Lack of structure, ambiguity, products, processes, metrics, etc. are created and defined on the fly.
- Success is dependent on successful collaboration within Cox and development of internal relationships.
- Team selling is critical to ensure clients' needs are met; often requires selling new and bundled products and services.
Typical Training / Experience - Typically requires BS/BA in related discipline; Generally 5-8 years of experience in related field. Certification is required in some areas OR MS/MA and generally 3-5 years of experience in related field. Certification required in some areas
Dept/Org Scope & Impact - Seasoned professional contributor with responsibility for an advanced area of work in the professional field; May be responsible for entire projects or functions having modest scope/impact or portions of projects having considerable scope/impact to department, area, and, at times, business unit results
Problem Complexity - Performs advanced areas of work for the professional field; Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems
Autonomy - Independently performs assignments with instruction limited to results expected. Determines and develops approach to solutions; Receives technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues
Your Career at Cox
From the valued customers we connect through our innovative communications services, to the employees we unite through exciting career opportunities, Cox is all about bringing people together and enhancing their lives.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable, telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care, and its outstanding workplaces. We are always looking for talented professionals to join our team! Cox offers competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package (healthcare, pension, and 401k) and a best-in-class working environment.
Cox is an equal employment opportunity employer, disabled/protected/veteran and a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. Learn more at: http://www.cox.com/.
Statement to ALL Third Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox Communications accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox Communications employees, or send to any Cox Communications facility. Cox Communications is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Communications, Inc.
Primary Location: US-AZ-Phoenix-4600 E Washington St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Meet Some of Cox Enterprises's Employees
Senior Sales Research Analyst, Cox Media Group
Monica does more than simply research analytical data behind her computer. She’s a fearless leader in the diversity, inclusion, and millennial initiatives at Cox Media Group.
Back to top