Senior Data Engineer
Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 170 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 35 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,400 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
At Coursera, our data engineering team is unique, with the goal to democratize data and empower our internal and external users with data to build and enhance next generation of learning experience. We are responsible to model and build our foundational core data lake that feeds our key data solutions. We build analytical products to serve our partners and customers with key insights. We believe the next generation of teaching and learning is personalized, accessible, and efficient -- reaching a world of learners who need it --, and that with our scale, data, technology, and talent we are best positioned to make that vision a reality.
We’re looking for a talented and driven senior data engineer with a keen eye for data. Our ideal candidate is an independent, analytically-minded individual with strong data modeling and software engineering skills, who shares our passion for education. In this role, you’ll directly work with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and deploy data solutions.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Architect scalable data models and build efficient and reliable ETL pipelines to bring the data into our core data lake
- Design, build, and launch visualization and self-serve analytics products that empower our internal and external customers with flexible insights
- Be a technical leader for the team; guide technical and architectural designs for the major team initiatives; mentor junior members of the team
- Build data expertise, and partner with data scientists and product engineers to define and standardize business rules and maintain high-fidelity data
- Define and partner with other engineers in the development of new tools to enable our customers to understand and access data more efficiently
- Work cross-functionally (eg: product managers, engineers, business teams) to support new product and feature launches
- Bachelor's in Software Engineering, Info Systems or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in a data-related field, including data engineering, data warehousing, business intelligence, data visualization, and/or data science
- Strong software engineering skills and at least one scripting language (e.g., Python)
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity and experience with big data technologies (eg: Hive, Spark, Presto) preferred
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely
- Independence and passion for innovation and learning new technologies
If this opportunity interest you, you might like these courses on Coursera
Back to top