Chief People Officer
Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 170 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 35 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,400 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
The Chief People Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will be responsible for leading the entirety of the human resources function including recruiting, organization development, compensation, benefits, operations, diversity and inclusion and learning. They will be a key member of the Coursera management team. The Chief People Officer will be responsible for leading and further improving the People function. They will be a true business partner to the CEO and senior leadership team, deeply understanding the business. Building on the work done by the company to date, this leader will lead the continued work on the company’s very mission and purpose-driven culture.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Work with exec team to develop the culture and practices that help Coursera learn, change and grow in order to fulfill our mission of transforming lives through learning.
- Focus on creating the best possible employee experience for Coursera's workforce.
- Drive employee engagement by helping the exec team continually improve our talent, our workflows, our pride in what we create, our performance, and our sense of purpose in the world.
- Provide strategic leadership in building out Coursera's HR team and functions.
- Work effectively, transparently and in a partner-like fashion to advise and influence the CEO and Coursera management team, particularly Legal and Finance, ensuring buy-in to key policy and process designs and discipline on company-wide implementation.
- Bring an analytical, data-based approach to building Coursera's organization, aligning Coursera's business objectives with their broader people strategies
- Lead an operationally strong organization with scalable systems, processes and analytics to measure and constantly improve Coursera's people experience
- Work closely with the board of directors including the Compensation Committee on matters of talent, succession, development and compensation.
- Lead by example to reinforce Coursera’s values of Betterment, Boldness, Solidarity, and Deep Honesty. Exhibit a conviction that the world needs Coursera to be wildly successful, a tireless pursuit to drive results, an urgency to learn what it takes to delight customers and create rapid growth, a leadership and management style that achieves top performance from teams that are diverse and united by common purpose, an openness and honesty that inspires true commitment from others, and a practice of inviting and offering candid feedback in order to learn, change, and grow.
- 15+ years of experience as a People/HR professional
- A breadth and depth of exposure across the entire People function, including leading a People function, ideally in a public company
- Experience working on a high-performing executive team that has exhibited integrity, trust, conflict, commitment, accountability, resilience, collaboration, creativity, and exceptional results
- Professionalism and experience collaborating with legal and finance to ensure compliance and risk management in a growing business
- Track record building and leading a high-performing, cross-functional team of at least 15 people across recruiting, compensation, business partnerships, learning and development, and administration
- Proven leader who influences cross-functionally to rally the hearts and minds of the entire organization to understand and deliver the best performance across the organization
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Back to top