Personal Lines Underwriter
At COUNTRY Financial, our Personal Lines Underwriter profitably underwrites new business, changes, and reinstatements for the assigned personal lines business using guidelines and recommending underwriting action. The person applying for this position should be self-motivated, a good communicator, have strong writing skills, and be capable of making data-driven decisions that balance the needs of our customers with the needs of our organization.
- Reviews and analyzes new business applications, changes, nonrenewals and reinstatements using underwriting guidelines and state insurance codes to authorize, reject, rescind or nonrenew. Evaluates future loss potential of each risk.
- Promotes partners in excellence and a positive relationship with agency. Communicates with financial representatives and other departments concerning questions and problems via telephone and email. Resolves problem cases. Assists financial representatives in responding to questions about proposed coverages and rates.
- Ensures adequate pricing of insurable risks by properly classifying the exposure and verify that characteristics are identified and applied, making changes where appropriate.
- Processes follow-up reports generated by the system.
- Orders and reviews inspection reports according to company guidelines.
- May authorize exceptions to underwriting rules when warranted and after review by the senior underwriter or management.
- Education equivalent to graduation from college (or the equivalent insurance experience).
- Experience in the insurance industry in a production environment, especially working within the Property/Casualty field is preferred.
- Ability to interpret and apply underwriting guidelines, to perform in a production environment, to organize work and set daily priorities, and to provide strong customer service.
- Demonstrates effective analytical skills, demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, and deals effectively with conflict situations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting procedures and manual rules is preferred but not required.
Meet Some of COUNTRY Financial's Employees
Judy often feels more like a counselor than a financial advisor because she’s so close to the everyday happenings of her clients, guiding them to make smarter financial decisions.
Back to top