At COUNTRY Financial, our Claims Specialist provides a consistent, positive, and satisfying claims experience for our clients by delivering superior claims service.
This position could be filled in Seattle, WA or West Linn, OR.
- Investigating and settling one or more of these complex claims types: liability, property and/or material damage.
- Determining applicable policy coverage, evaluating damages, assessing liability, and creating applicable negotiation strategies.
- Obtains and analyzing a wide variety of applicable documentation related to assigned claims, some of which may include, i.e., ISO reports, fire reports, police reports, cause & origin reports, medical reports, engineer reports, written estimates, witness accounts, etc.
- Completing physical inspections of the more extensive losses (when necessary), evaluating damages, and preparing written estimates according to policy provisions and published company guidelines.
- Initiating first contact with insureds, claimants, and all relevant parties to gather basic information, obtain recorded statements (when necessary), and explain the overall claims process.
- Maintaining continuous communication with all affected parties regarding each step of the claims process.
- Communicating and negotiating with a variety of individuals regarding investigation and settlement of applicable claims, i.e., insureds, claimants, attorneys, medical providers, insurance carriers, and other involved parties.
- Acting as resident expert while providing direction, support, and training of lesser-experienced Claims Representatives.
- Participating in round tabling on applicable claim files and has significant responsibility for coaching and developing employees.
- Education equivalent to graduation from college (or the equivalent in related work experience).
- Maintains the appropriate adjuster’s licensing as required by the states in which we do business.
- Five or more years of claims adjusting experience (or the equivalent).
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, investigate, and settle the more complex claims within higher settlement authority limits than those handled by Sr. Claims Representative.
- Knowledge of insurance contracts and claims law.
- Requires highly-developed oral and written communication and negotiation skills to communicate with a wide variety of internal and external contacts.
- Must possess the ability to handle potential conflict effectively and constructively.
- Excellent decision-making, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Proven time management, prioritization, and organizational skills are required to handle a high volume of assigned claims within expected timeframes.
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity where claims facts and circumstances may be unknown or vague.
- Proven ability to multi-task while interacting effectively with financial representatives, claimants, insured’s, internal staff members, and external contacts.
- Must be able to work in teams or independently in the field.
- Basic computer and data entry skills, with a working knowledge of Microsoft WORD and Excel (or their equivalents) and (as applicable) claims software.
- Education equivalent to graduation from college with a degree in business, insurance or agribusiness (or the equivalent in related work experience).
- Previous experience handling specific claims applicable to area of specialist assignment.
- Experience with the claims investigation and settlement process of one or more claims types.
- Experience handling property claims, bodily injury, and/or material damage claims (including total losses).
- Good working knowledge of the policy provisions and coverage’s associated with these claims.
- Work is split approximately (up to) 60% field and 40% office, which will be contingent upon assigned claim type(s) within a specific geographic territory.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with the ability to drive an automobile.
- Must have the physical dexterity to walk, reach, climb, and crawl to inspect damage, sometimes in unfavorable working conditions or inclement weather.
- The ability to lift, carry, and climb ladders weighing up to 50 pounds may be required (applicable to property claims only).
- Work may involve overtime or extend beyond normal business hours due to business need or in the case of emergency situations .
Meet Some of COUNTRY Financial's Employees
Judy often feels more like a counselor than a financial advisor because she’s so close to the everyday happenings of her clients, guiding them to make smarter financial decisions.
Back to top