Actuarial Research Analyst II
At COUNTRY Financial, our Actuarial Research Analyst II develops moderately-complex predictive data models and assists in developing some components of more complex models developed by others. Employs data mining techniques to determine relevant variable relationships and explains findings. Leads and participates in actuarial research projects, develops recommendations from resultant conclusions, and relays to management. Provides support for actuary and reinsurance and gathers data and performs analysis using Focus, SAS, Access, and statistical coding requirements.
- Develops moderately-complex predictive data models and assists in developing some components of more complex models (developed by others), that identify and mathematically represent underlying data relationships that are not temporary anomalies.
- Performs mathematical analysis to enhance senior management’s strategic and tactical decision making with respect to profit and growth goals. Analyses and research duties involve multiple events, existing and/or new products, or conceptual situations.
- Employs data mining techniques to determine relevant variable relationships and explains findings to identify and analyze profitability potential in the quality, retention, and acquisition of new and existing business and associated products.
- Reviews the claims experience and competitors’ rating plans for future segmentation of risks; modifies product design and pricing based upon profit and growth goals. Applies knowledge of competitors’ rating plans in contributing to the development of product design and pricing strategies.
- Utilizes appropriate software programming tools to produce statistical reports relevant to ratemaking, reserving, and underwriting and claims benchmarks.
- Designs databases and secures appropriate data used to determine the existence and extent of variable relationships. Quantifies the relative influence of explanatory variables upon relevant dependent variables.
- Begins to lead components of actuarial research projects, develops recommendations from resultant conclusions, and relays to management.
- Consults with external resources to enhance knowledge and expertise in the application of statistical theory and predictive modeling.
- Serves on committees and performs other related work as required or requested.
- Education equivalent to graduation from college, (or the equivalent in related work experience).
- Graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, actuarial sciences, or other related discipline (or the equivalent in related work experience) is preferred.
- Two or more years as an Actuarial Research Analyst I, or other equivalent professional-level statistical data modeling work experience.
- Previous experience should include proficiency with data preparation, particularly in merging data, cross-checking against known sources, and applying techniques to deal with missing data.
- Proven ability to document and interpret findings, and make recommendations in the context of business issues.
- Proven ability to perform multivariate analysis, cluster analysis, regression and other such data analyses.
- Strong statistical knowledge, including the ability to perform some or all of these statistical analyses: hypothesis testing, t-test, F-tests, ANOVA, and component analysis.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of mainframe and PC-based systems and their associated data mapping and operational software.
- Intermediate level proficiency with some or all of these technologies: Microsoft Excel and Access, Focus, SAS, Emblem (or the equivalent).
- Demonstrated proficiency with programming.
- Excellent research and data management skills and analytical ability.
- Strong attention to detail orientation.
- Possesses the ability to work effectively independently and in teams.
- Normal working conditions with prolonged data analysis and computer usage.
- Work beyond regularly scheduled hours, including occasional travel (some overnight) is expected. #LI-SK1
For more details about careers at COUNTRY Financial®, please visit us online at www.countryfinancial.com/careers and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Back to top