Counsyl is looking for an experienced benefits professional to join our team in South San Francisco, reporting to our Sr. Director, Total Rewards.
As a key member of the Total Rewards team, you’ll partner with HRBPs, Managers, Payroll, our benefits broker and related TPAs, People Operations, Recruiting, and other teams to support our population of nearly 500 Counsylors throughout the United States. The successful candidate will provide accurate and timely administration for all company benefit plans, and will be accountable for program compliance.
- Stay current on new/innovative practices and trends in employee benefits and wellness, specifically in life sciences and tech organizations. Regularly benchmark programs against current market practices
- Lead the communication strategy and planning of the benefits programs, including the preparation of communications and promotional materials, content for educational sessions, and use of other communication vehicles
- Lead annual open enrollment process, including plan implementation/changes and the development of communication materials; partner with benefits broker, TPA, carriers and internal business partners, as needed
- Provide training to HR partners and payroll partners on benefit processes and policies
- Proactively identify and recommend process improvements; implement and document process changes.
- Ownership of day-to-day benefit program administration for: leave of absence, medical, dental, vision, COBRA, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, wellness, workers comp and 401(k) plans
- Act as primary administrator of the company’s 401(k) retirement plan, including employee communications, annual audit reviews, mid-year testing and compliance notices
- Ensure company compliance with federal and state benefits laws, including updated summary plan documents (SPDs), annual plan notice distribution, non-discrimination testing, periodic audits of benefits plans & deductions to ensure plans remain compliant and ensure reporting requirements are met timely
- Act as a liaison between benefits team and payroll team to communicate changes to employee pay resulting from benefit change events such as open enrollment, employee qualifying events and new hire elections
- Administer our leave of absence processes by acting as an employee advocate and contact for new leave requests and updates. Coordinate time away and pay as liaison between employee, disability vendor and payroll team. Manage return to work process for employees. Maintenance of leave status in our HRIS / tracking tools
- Own and maintain our benefit enrollment system, BeneTrac; Continuously monitor and audit benefit system data and integrations to benefit vendors
- Serve as employee advocate for the resolution of escalated benefit questions and issues, such as health & welfare, wellness, 401(k), and company perks
- Provide benefit reports and dashboard data for internal HR use and executive review
- Track and work with our immigration attorney, managers and employees
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) with 5+ years benefits related experience
- Strong working knowledge of current US employment & benefits laws
- Significant experience managing 401(k) retirement programs
- Strong analytical & project management skills
- Excellent customer service skills. Ability to handle confidential employee information with discretion & good judgment
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Significant knowledge of HRIS systems and Benefits Administration systems
- Comfortable with public speaking/presenting
- Experience with self-funded benefit plan administration and TPA service management
- Experience single-handedly administering benefit plans and compliance for a small- to mid-size organization (200-1,000 employees)
Counsyl is a health technology company that offers DNA screening for diseases that can impact men, women and their children. The Counsyl philosophy is simple: screen for diseases where advanced knowledge makes a difference in health outcomes, whether it’s changing a behavior, pursuing preventative measures, or simply preparing for what lies ahead.
The Counsyl team includes an accomplished group of problem-solvers — top engineers, scientists, and designers — who are taking the lead on building the modern clinical laboratory. Scientific rigor, custom robotics, and software are at the heart of every Counsyl product, resulting in better, faster and more affordable screens that are broadly accessible. Beyond the laboratory, Counsyl offers doctors and patients a technology platform for results delivery in real time, with on-demand access to board-certified genetic counselors.
Counsyl has screened more than 600,000 patients and served more than 6,000 health care professionals in its CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited and NYS CLEP-permitted clinical laboratory. The company has raised a total of $102 million and is privately backed by RSTP, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, David Drummond, and other high profile investors.
Back to top