Sr. Manager, OPI R&D Lab
- Woodland Hills, CA
"Wella' is one of the world's leading professional and retail hair companies. It is a beauty collective with a mission to enable consumers to look & feel like their true self. Its love brands, which include beauty icons such as Wella, Clairol, OPI, and ghd (all together "Wella"), are co-created by & designed for the beauty junkies of today & tomorrow. Following the signing of an agreement with global investment firm KKR for the divestiture of Coty's Professional and Retail Hair businesses , "Wella" is on its way to become a fully independent, standalone company with its own management team and operational structures. At closing, our new Company will have presence in over 100 countries and an estimated annual net revenue of $2.3Bn. "Wella" and its brands, are and will remain committed to a range of social causes as well as seeking to minimize its impact on the environment.
In our dynamic Research & Development team you will be influencing the core of the customer & consumer delight. You will join a diverse team of highly passionate Scientists, Engineers, Hair Stylists and Nail Artists innovating at the forefront of technology and beauty trends:
- We own End to End Innovation through an empowered learning culture; exploring, developing and qualifying innovations that delight .
- We innovate to create the future of the Company guided by focused consumer research and the trends that will grow our industry long term .
- We feel and act like parents of the industry with safety, sustainability, quality and regulatory front and center to our work
We are actively looking for a Sr. Manager of Retail & Color Product Development to join the OPI R&D team. OPI is the #1 Professional salon nail brand worldwide. Reporting to the Vice President of OPI R&D (a member of the Wella R&D Lead Team), you will lead a small team of scientists to develop and validate OPI products for the Retail channel, including solvent based nail polish, skin care products, treatments, and more. You will also lead the development and technical readiness of OPI color collections, a key contributor to the OPI brand equity, with shades ranging across franchises and channels.
- Ownership of OPI Retail & Color Collections End to End Product Development - collaborate with Marketing, Consumer Market Insights (CMI) and Coty Testing Institute (CTI) to establish technical success criteria and build innovation strategy for OPI Retail products (i.e. solvent based lacquers, treatments, skin care, etc.) and color collections pipeline.
- Ensure on time delivery with confirmed technical readiness for OPI Retail & Color Collection development projects - lead communication to cross-functional teams to drive project progression, ensure projects are properly resourced and budgeted, and communicate readiness status at Gate milestones.
- Establish Innovation Funnel for air dry nail coatings and treatments to be launched within 0-5 years timeframe - via internal and external product development resources. Work closely with OPI Professional Product Development Sr. Manager and Product Insights Manager to create cohesive OPI R&D innovation strategy.
- Develop Consumer Nail Category Knowledge & Expertise. Develop landscape analysis for key technology segments (i.e. long wear, treatments) in the OPI lead markets. Monitor patent activity and competitor claims in the Retail nail space.
- Build on OPI Color as Data Strategy to strengthen OPI leadership in color innovation and trends. Broaden color measurement expertise and expand color data analysis tools. Build strong relationships with raw material suppliers and supply chain to set color trends.
- Leadership & people development of OPI R&D Retail & Color Product Development Team to grow capability and build talent pipeline.
- Patents - Landscaping - Color Collections - compliance - claims
You thrive at building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions. You are committed, conscientious and always lead with integrity. You recognise the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization. You believe in the value of teamwork. You bring a high level of knowledge and know-how plus creativity and enthusiasm to your work and to everything you do.
- Oversee OPI's Retail & Color Collections product development activities and deliver to set milestones - including alignment of learning plans, tech readiness evaluations and Gate preparation.
- Develop and evaluate air dry coatings base formulas & technologies.
- Align product development projects with OPI brand's Retail & Color Collections strategy, initiative calendar, and business needs.
- Manage projects in a Stage and Gate process, with clear communication of risk to cross-functional team members, and to leadership.
- Build understanding of Global Consumer Nail category- competitive landscape, growth opportunities, regional differences, and technology trends.
- Be responsible for IP evaluation, technology scouting and evaluation for air dry nail coatings
- Support OPI Retail Base Business to maintain Regulatory compliance, make process improvements, and realize cost savings through technical initiatives.
- Manage R&D relationship with Third Party Manufacturers - including technical briefings, project management, technology evaluation, and co-development of new technologies.
- Collaborate with R&D support services, OPI Marketing, OPI Initiative Management team, and other cross-functional team members.
- Lead, manage and motivate team members on a daily basis. Provide effective guidance and timely feedback.
- Manage resources and budget efficiently.
- Significant record of achievement in the development and commercialization of new products.
- Extensive experience in the beauty/personal care industry.
- Knowledge of all processes of product development, product integrity, safety and regulatory.
- Proven ability to translate consumer needs into technical deliverables.
- Experience / knowledge to create learning plan and define success criteria.
- Strong background in in polymer and/or coatings technologies.
- Minimum BS in polymer chemistry, materials science, organic chemistry or related science. MS/PhD preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including supervision of people/teams or specialized experience critical to the organization.
- Constructive networker, capable and experienced in navigating cross-functional network to press projects forward.
- Must thrive in fast paced environment, with the ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Team player and "can do" attitude, who is motivated to develop others.
- A passion for Beauty, curiosity for science, and a desire to be in touch with trends in the beauty industry.
- Well networked with other key cosmetic industry influencers/stakeholders
- Highly developed communication and presentation skills for verbal and written communication of ideas, technical rationales, risks, issues and recommendation.
- Experience working with global and multifunctional groups to move project forward.
- Hands on individual, GLP and organizational skills are a must.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team.
We offer equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We comply with national, federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities.
Back to top