Manager, R&D Packaging Development
- Cedar Knolls, NJ
ABOUT THE WELLA COMPANY
Together, WE enable individuals to look, feel, and be their true selves.
Wella Company is one of the world's leading beauty companies, comprised of a family of iconic brands such as Wella Professionals, Clairol, OPI, Nioxin and ghd. With 6,000 employees globally, presence in over 100 countries, Wella Company and its brands enable consumers to look, feel, and be their true selves. As innovators in the hair and nail industry, Wella Company empowers its people to delight consumers, inspire beauty professionals, engage communities, and deliver sustainable growth to its stakeholders.
For additional information about the Wella Company please visit www.wellacompany.com .
- Lead 2 direct reports and deliver with excellence the packaging aspects of the Clairol Retail Hair Color portfolio.
- Provide packaging expertise and mastery in defining and developing appropriate primary & secondary package design solutions, meeting design intent, performance, functionality, aesthetics, cost, manufacturability, timing and quality requirements.
- Partner with key partners across R&D, Commercial, Supply Chain, and external suppliers to plan and deliver winning products as a team per brand vision.
- Develop near and midterm (1-3 years) package innovations within initiatives meeting design intent, performance, functionality, aesthetics, and cost, manufacturability, timing and quality requirements.
- Shape and drive execution of consumer-focused technical learning plans, guiding the final designs that you develop and specify end-to-end through all design and delivery stage gates.
- Define and drive packaging design performance criteria and apply FMEA approaches to build in robustness and quality from the beginning. Initiate and execute tests to demonstrate robustness and manufacturability.
- Collaborate with our global plants and suppliers to understand and integrate the requirements of possible supply chain solutions in the packaging design & engineering process.
- Identify possible suppliers and cost drivers of your designs, proactively offer ways to optimize cost, scale and simplification delivering speed to market, delight and best value.
- Support overall business portfolio projects of our brands as required, such as resolving quality issues, cost savings/innovation KPI, supplier/material changes, etc. to service our customers, focus value to our consumer, and win as a business.
- Minimum Bachelor in Package Engineering (preferred) or other technical field, i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Industrial Design. Masters/Doctorate is a plus.
- 5 - 10 years of experience in Packaging R&D within the Beauty or FMCG industries. Experience in hair color, care, or styling preferred.
- Experience with packaging technologies (e.g. molding, flexibles, cartons, print & decoration, assembly), project management and packaging development approaches.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to identify smart solutions with the right level of pragmatism. Attention to details that matter in Beauty.
- Proficiency in Solidworks, Artioscad, Microsoft Office. Adobe Creative skills a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently in global diverse teams and environments.
- Passion for solving problems using creativity and/or analytical skills. Experience in identifying technical solutions and their implementation. Affinity to develop beauty design solutions working with industrial designers/design agencies.
- Excellent collaborative skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously. Entrepreneurial, agile and hands-on spirit. Focused and disciplined. High sense of accountability and ownership. Able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously. Open to change in a dynamic growing environment.
- Very strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills for verbal and written communication of ideas, technical rationales, risks, issues and recommendations.
- Ability to travel 10-20% of your time to domestic or international destinations if required.
We offer equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Wella Company with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact us at: https://www.wellacompany.com/consumer-affairs
We strongly believe that cultivating a diverse workplace gives a company strength. The combination of unique skills, abilities, experiences and backgrounds creates an environment that produces extraordinary results. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
Back to top