- United States
R&D Packaging Manager, Eye Segment and Color Cosmetics Sustainability SME, Consumer Beauty
United States - Morris Plains, NJ
Our purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of beauty. We challenge convention through invention, expanding our horizons to enrich your reality with possibility. We build brands to inspire and enable our consumers to experience the confidence and joy of expressing their beauty, their way.
MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are currently looking for a Manager R&D Packaging for the Eye category who will also support our Packaging Sustainability agenda at our Technical Center in New Jersey.
Reporting to a Consumer Beauty Division Packaging Sr. Manager, the Packaging Manager will be executing the development and qualification of packaging solutions for a portfolio of projects on a range of global leading brands as well as managing a team of Developers.
This will involve managing fast paced development of primary and secondary packaging solutions, from early inception (design in partnership with Marketing and Design agencies) through initial qualification of packaging components at suppliers, in Coty plants and Third Party Manufacturers, and all the way to a successful delivery in market.
Initiative must have success measures, including on-time launch, with uncompromised quality, at the right capacity to enable global markets, and at the right cost.
The role necessitates a high level of internal collaboration multi-functionally (Marketing, Procurement, Manufacturing, Planning, Finance, Regulatory) as well as externally (Design agencies, fashion houses, universities, packaging suppliers).
In this role as Packaging Manager, the job holder will be expected to lead and manage the technical qualification of a range of packaging components. Will coordinate and manage the technical testing with the packaging suppliers, whilst owning and communicating the final technical specification.
The job holder will actively look to execute organizational capabilities, contributing to the strengths of the Global Coty Packaging Development organization. This can include exploratory lab testing of new packaging technologies, physical and digital prototyping and rendering capabilities, modelling and simulation approaches.
R&D Packaging is responsible for supporting business strategy in meeting their current and future needs, in term of Packaging and Product Innovation as well as Sustainability Goals, with a Consumer Driven approach.
- Category Strategy - Deliver innovation and value for money in accordance with the agreed Business Plans and Procurement Strategy. Drive category towards continuous improvement based on knowledge of consumer insights, and technical intelligence.
- Project Conception and Industrialization - Collaborate with marketing and their creative resources (e.g. Technology Innovation Council Category Leaders, external or in-house designers) on establishing technical feasibility and cost parameters for each new initiative proposed concepts.
- Managing Relationship - Develop positive relationships with business partners to understand current and future business needs. Seek, develop, and promote new ideas & innovation. Ensure industrial partners (e.g Procurement, Production, Engineering) involvement in process right from the onset.
- R&D PACKAGING as a key player - Demonstrate the value of R&D Packaging function to the business through managing and anticipating expectations. Be mindful of the Coty objectives and act to reach them (Innovation, Gross margin adherence, customer service).
- Sustainability Strategy - Deliver the packaging sustainability vision within the color cosmetics category. Serve as the single point of contact for Consumer Beauty Color Cosmetics sustainability efforts and the "go to" expert for category packaging sustainability. Implement packaging sustainability principles within the broader category R&D packaging team
R&D Packaging and sustainability responsibilities
- Manage concurrently several projects varying from simple to very complex.
- Use appropriate processes, techniques, and tools to support category management and improved initiatives performance.
- Support Procurement supplier selection strategy by providing feedback on periodical performance assessment (innovation category)
- Conduct packaging activity in accordance with Coty stated ethics and legal policies.
- Collaborate with all Coty R&D Packaging network on common Coty packaging interests
- Support and implement Sustainability vision within the R&D Packaging color cosmetics category
- Packaging Professional, 4+ years' experience, with a proven track record of delivery of industry winning innovations delivered to market with excellence across a range of industry leading brands.
- Proven track record of bringing outside innovation in, acting like a start-up and leveraging the best of the outside into winning market innovations.
- Experience of medium/large brand portfolio management across price/consumer tiers and categories.
- Operates with discipline in a dynamic and fast-moving initiatives pipeline. Must act with a sense of ownership to ensure the right technical plan is in place and the team is focused on the right priorities.
- Proven track record in having supported culturally diverse organizations
- Ability to manage complexity and to deal with flexible requests.
- Technical mastery to allow gaining immediate credibility and rapidly be recognized by the teams and Coty.
- Academic qualifications: A Scientific Bachelor's Degree
- CAD literacy will be a plus
Strong Packaging technical skills - Career track and knowledge must demonstrate understanding of Packaging technologies to enable high value interactions with internal and external partners. This should be demonstrated across product categories.
Innovating like a Start-up - Strongly connected with solid team player behavior, experienced in the Beauty Packaging industry, specifically having demonstrated learning agility with an ability to identify and bring innovation from the outside in.
Strong collaboration skills with both internal (Marketing, procurement, Manufacturing) and external stakeholders (suppliers, design agencies, fashion houses) Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
Strong analytical and problem solving skills. The ability to handle multiple technical inputs and come to quick and insightful conclusions based upon them.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to occasionally travel to assigned regions - domestic and internationally. This will require frequent sitting for an extended period of time
- Ability to routinely follow policies and procedure related to company practices and safety procedures
- Ability to operate various office equipment and/or lab equipment
Description Of Work Environment/Conditions
- Ability to perform assigned work hours and work periodic overtime in order to meet the job responsibilities of the role
- Individual will be exposed to working in or around a lab environment with various equipment, machinery and chemicals. Safety precautions must be adhered to and followed at all times
- Individual may visit internal and external manufacturing sites and laboratories. Safety precautions must be adhered to and followed at all times.
Coty's purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of our consumers' beauty. Aligned to this is our mission - to strive over time to become the global industry leader by being the clear challenger in beauty, delighting consumers and creating long-term shareholder value.
We are one of the world's largest beauty companies with approximately $9 billion in revenue, and our strong entrepreneurial heritage has created an iconic portfolio of leading beauty brands.
As the global leader in fragrance, a strong number two in professional salon hair color & styling, and number three in color cosmetics, we operate across three divisions:
- Coty Consumer Beauty: focused on color cosmetics, retail hair coloring and styling products, body care and mass fragrances sold primarily in the mass retail channels with brands such as COVERGIRL, Max Factor and Rimmel
- Coty Luxury: focused on prestige fragrances and skincare with brands such as Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Hugo Boss, Gucci and philosophy
- Coty Professional Beauty: focused on servicing salon owners and professionals in both hair and nail with brands such as Wella Professionals, Sebastian Professional, OPI and ghd
Want to know more?
For additional information about Coty Inc., please visit www.coty.com .
At Coty, we embrace Diversity. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability.
Back to top