R&D Packaging Manager, Lip Segment
Our purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of beauty. We challenge convention through invention, expanding our horizons to enrich your reality with possibility. We build brands to inspire and enable our consumers to experience the confidence and joy of expressing their beauty, their way.
MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are current looking for a Packaging Manager for the Lip Category. This position will be based in Morris Plains. The R&D Packaging Manager will closely co-ordinate with R&D Formulation, Marketing, Initiative Management, Procurement, Production, and Technical Product Services team to design and deliver new color cosmetics product initiatives on time, within cost targets, and of the quality our customers expect to support the Master Plan. The R&D Packaging Manager is responsible for the development of primary and secondary packaging solutions as needed within cost targets, quality, timing, functionality, manufacturability and sustainability expectations from initiation to launch.
- Attend briefing meetings from Marketing and provide input on feasibility of the project from cost and technical standpoints and leverage existing packaging portfolio whenever possible.
- Lead and coach a team of Packaging Developers
- Take accountability to deliver end-to-end assigned projects
- Develop Packaging solutions to meet the needs of the lip consumer with high focus on consumer experience and sustainability while maintaining supply chain and cost constraints in mind.
- Work closely with Procurement to develop Directional and Conception Costs with multiple options to answer to the Marketing briefs and respect gross margin targets.
- Write component and finished good specifications as well as bill of materials to deliver the required consumer expectations for all packaging materials (functional, sensorial, performance) and without impacting Service, Quality, Cost and Cash.
- Work to align success criteria with the R&D formulation, Supply Chain Packaging and Production teams to prepare for filling/manufacturing, including leading the Packaging FMEA
- Track the development milestones against Critical Path Schedules surrounding the packaging components and communicate dates/updates to cross-functional partners.
- Design packaging learning plan, coordinate, and perform packaging componentry and filled units testing as part of technical validation for new initiatives.
- Support production line trials and commissioning for packaging validation and production startups.
- Review/Approve Artwork files for Packaging-specific criteria. , sharing the final files with the Supplier as needed, and ensuring the final files for production are saved within the Coty systems.
- Attend 1st Productions when possible to ensure components and finished goods are of the correct quality expectations. Approve standards and range boards for the Componentry and Finished Goods.
- Knowledge of cosmetics packaging materials and manufacturing to include (extrusion and injection) blow molding, injection molding, metal pressing and print technologies.
- 4+ years of technical experience in cosmetics/pharmaceutical/personal care consumer packaged goods industry with an emphasis on Development and Engineering of primary and secondary packaging (cosmetics preferred)
- Expertise evaluating technical drawings for accuracy, design intent and fit for use. Must be able to demonstrate competency in handling the interpretations of blueprints and understand the dimensional tolerances to stack-up various component types.
- Strong project management skills to include time management, prioritization, co-ordination and communication.
- Expertise working with manufacturing plant and qualifying new packaging on production lines.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to identify smart solutions with the right level of pragmatism. Attention to details that matter in Beauty.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently in global diverse teams and environments.
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to motivate and train junior Developers.
- Passion for solving problems using creativity and/ or analytical skills. Experience in identifying technical solutions and their implementation is a plus. Affinity to develop beauty design solutions working with industrial designers / design agencies.
- Excellent collaborative skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously. Entrepreneurial, agile and hands-on spirit. Focused and disciplined. High sense of accountability and ownership. Able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously. Open to change in a dynamic growing environment.
- Very strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills for verbal and written communication of ideas, technical rationales, risks, issues and recommendations.
- Knowledge of cosmetics packaging regulations (fill levels, DOT hazmat requirements, deceptive packaging, etc..)
- BS in Packaging or Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to occasionally travel to assigned regions - domestic and internationally. This will require frequent sitting for an extended period of time
- Ability to routinely follow policies and procedure related to company practices and safety procedures
- Ability to operate various office equipment and/or lab equipment
- Ability to perform assigned work hours and work periodic overtime in order to meet the job responsibilities of the role
- Individual will be exposed to working in or around a lab environment with various equipment, machinery and chemicals. Safety precautions must be adhered to and followed at all times
- Individual may visit internal and external manufacturing sites and laboratories. Safety precautions must be adhered to and followed at all times.
Coty's purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of our consumers' beauty. Aligned to this is our mission - to strive over time to become the global industry leader by being the clear challenger in beauty, delighting consumers and creating long-term shareholder value.
We are one of the world's largest beauty companies with approximately $9 billion in revenue, and our strong entrepreneurial heritage has created an iconic portfolio of leading beauty brands.
As the global leader in fragrance, a strong number two in professional salon hair color & styling, and number three in color cosmetics, we operate across three divisions:
- Coty Consumer Beauty: focused on color cosmetics, retail hair coloring and styling products, body care and mass fragrances sold primarily in the mass retail channels with brands such as COVERGIRL, Max Factor and Rimmel
- Coty Luxury: focused on prestige fragrances and skincare with brands such as Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Hugo Boss, Gucci and philosophy
- Coty Professional Beauty: focused on servicing salon owners and professionals in both hair and nail with brands such as Wella Professionals, Sebastian Professional, OPI and ghd
Want to know more?
For additional information about Coty Inc., please visit www.coty.com .
At Coty, we embrace Diversity. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability.
Back to top