Manager, Consumer Product Insights (R&D)
Consumer Products Insights Manager, One Nail (R&D)
COTY Professional Beauty | Calabasas, California
Our purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of beauty. We challenge convention through invention, expanding our horizons to enrich your reality with possibility. We build brands to inspire and enable our consumers to experience the confidence and joy of expressing their beauty, their way.
ROLE MISSION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are actively looking for a Consumer Product Insights Manager to join the Coty One Nail R&D team. Reporting to the Senior Director - OPI & One Nail R&D, Coty Professional Beauty (a member of the Professional Division R&D Lead Team), you will lead the development of nail product insights, which you will translate into technical success criteria for innovation to serve Coty's Industry Leading Nail Brands. This includes, amongst others: OPI - the #1 Professional salon nail brand worldwide, Sally Hansen - the #1 consumer retail nail brand worldwide, and Risqué - the #1 nail brand in Brazil.
You will be working with R&D scientists, Sensory Scientists, and Consumer Marketing Insights (CMI) to enable the identification of innovation insights, design and development of methods to quantify product performance benefits, and the creation of compelling product communication and claims stories, with a primary focus on the Professional category.
- Product Insights: Building from Consumer Market insights, competitor launch data, and category trends, you will design and deploy studies aimed at uncovering and denationalizing consumer and manicurist unmet needs/opportunities in the global design markets. You will then translate these insights into product designs (defined through detailed technical success criteria) that will delight the target consumers as a result. You will work closely with the One Nail R&D Basic Research and Product Development teams to bring the proposition to life.
- Claims Substantiation & Superiority: Develop an understanding of how consumers speak about product benefits and needs for the Nail category. Develop new methods to quantify product benefits that can be used for claims substantiation and product communication in market.
- Scientific Communication: Showcase new technology with impactful communication sharing new, better, different consumer benefits compared to best in class in house and competition products/technologies. Develop demos to showcase product superiority in easy to follow format for non-scientific community.
- Build understanding of Nail category, competitive landscape, and consumer need gaps to develop winning products for all Coty Nail brands
- Build correlation between instrumental testing and real-life product performance
- Build R&D capability in scientific communication & claims substantiation
- Create demos to illustrate product differences, building the reason to believe in the product efficacy
- Generation and presentation of product and technology related technical communication material that facilitates the market entry and activation
- Translate the technical information and innovation into the language that even the non-technical people can understand and appreciate
- Lead and support generating product stories, claims and materials with true technical expertise, but also easy to comprehend and as related to concepts and/or product marketing briefs
- Review and align the results/data from tests performed by research labs
- Illustrate innovation in a verbal, visual and written manner for internal and/or external presentations and documentation
- Seek and quickly seize opportunities in scientific communication from different industries for transfer to the beauty industry
- Minimum M.S. and/or Ph.D. degree(s) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Data Science, or related scientific arena
- 5+ years relevant industry experience. Experience in Nails or beauty industry is preferred.
- Strong fundamental scientific background and technical expertise
- Proven ability to translate consumer needs into technical deliverables.
- Hands on experience in product testing and consumer testing
- Experience developing and validating instrumental analysis techniques that are correlated to product performance.
- Strong data analytics skills, including statistical analysis of complex data sets. Experience in modeling or data mapping preferred.
- Strong communication skills and capable of working with multifunctional groups to move project forward
- Proficiency in scientific writing. Capable of communicating science to non-technical community.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Team player and exhibit "can do" attitude
- Internally motivated
WE ARE COTY
We are Coty - and our people make us who we are.
It's important that we find individuals who are a great fit for our business, not just for us but for you too. We want people to thrive here and, if you are the right culture fit with us and we with you, you'll be able to shine and achieve beyond your own expectations.
- For us, beauty is and beauty does. We are very focused because we all want the same thing: to help our consumers celebrate and liberate the diversity of their beauty - and that takes creativity, excellence and radical thinking - we are here to disrupt the beauty industry on behalf of consumers and you need to want to join that mission to succeed here.
- We have an energetic intensity about us. We're quite relentless in our determination to deliver, always accountable for our actions and tenacious. We will not be beaten by obstacles.
- Responding quickly with agile thinking to business challenges and opportunities is second nature to us. We like it that way as it means we can be creative and find new ways to make things happen fast. Colleagues will expect it of you and you'll expect it of them - we're a team and we help each other. We're all in it together - irrespective of level or part of the business.
- We always go the extra mile, pushing the boundaries to be that best partner we can be to our customers and to excite and delight our consumers.
- When you join Coty, you become part of a vibrantly diverse and energetic group who have fun in an intense sort of way. Because we're not just here for the ride, we want to change things.
Coty's purpose is to celebrate and liberate the diversity of our consumers' beauty. Aligned to this is our mission - to strive over time to become the global industry leader by being the clear challenger in beauty, delighting consumers and creating long term shareholder value.
We are one of the world's largest beauty companies with approximately $9 billion in revenue, and our strong entrepreneurial heritage has created an iconic portfolio of leading beauty brands.
As the global leader in fragrance, a strong number two in professional salon hair color & styling, and number three in color cosmetics, we operate across three divisions:
- Coty Consumer Beauty: focused on color cosmetics, retail hair coloring and styling products, body care and mass fragrances sold primarily in the mass retail channels with brands such as COVERGIRL, Max Factor and Rimmel
- Coty Luxury: focused on prestige fragrances and skincare with brands such as Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Hugo Boss, Gucci and philosophy
- Coty Professional Beauty: focused on servicing salon owners and professionals in both hair and nail with brands such as Wella Professionals, Sebastian Professional, OPI and ghd
Want to know more?
For additional information about Coty Inc., please visit www.coty.com.
At Coty, we embrace Diversity. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability.
Keywords: R and D, R&D, Research and Development, Scientist. Consumer Product Insights, Chemist, Science, Chemistry
Back to top