Director, OPI R&D Upstream Innovation
- United States
DIRECTOR, OPI UPSTREAM INNOVATION - R&D
Professional Beauty | Calabasas, CA
We're Coty Professional Beauty, one of the leading professional beauty companies and home of iconic brands like Wella, Clairol Professional, Sebastian and OPI. We are passionate about beauty. Our products touch millions of consumers worldwide, via thousands of salons, stylists and nail artists. We believe our products and services bring out the beauty in every individual.
Reporting to the Vice President Nail R&D, Coty Professional Beauty (a member of the R&D Lead Team), as the Director and Technical Expert in Nail Innovation you will be leading the development of a portfolio of Nail innovation to serve Coty's Industry Leading Nail Brands. This includes, amongst others: OPI - the #1 Professional salon nail brand worldwide, Sally Hansen - the #1 consumer retail nail brand worldwide, and Risqué - the #1 nail brand in Brazil.
You will be leading a team of 3 experienced scientists based in Calabasas to enable the identification, creation, and qualification of category-disrupting technologies that transform the nail experience for our manicurists and consumers, with a primary focus on the Professional category.
You will become an active member of the Upstream Innovation Network, working on transformational projects beyond the nail category, as a key contributor to the Coty Professional Beauty R&D scientific community made up of 200 scientists and engineers, including 50 PhDs, with over 3,000 patents to date.
The focus areas for you and your team include:
- Upstream Platform Technology Strategy & Delivery : Definition and development of Long Range Nail Category Transformational Opportunities aligned to brand strategy and category growth trends - The innovation that will change the way that consumers experience nail in the future. Work seamlessly with Product Development R&D to bring these innovations to market.
- Intellectual Property Strategy & Watchtower : Create Intellectual property strategies to appropriately protect these innovations whilst maintaining development momentum. Management of Coty Nail Patent Portfolio and monitoring of the external nail and adjacent patent landscape.
- Acceleration to market: Build capability and strategy to bring technology platforms to market with speed, accuracy, and low technical risk.
- Development of new mechanical testing methods to screen formulas and predict salon performance.
- Leverage modelling and DOE as enabler
- Scientific Communication: Develop new methods and angles for claims substantiation to support Education and Marketing for product sell in and market acceptance of breakthrough technologies.
- Professional Beauty Upstream Innovation Network :
- Represent Nail Basic and Long Term Research internally within Coty in the Upstream Innovation Collective. Work with cross-divisional team of expert scientists to bring innovation to life for nail and other categories.
- Build robust external innovation network to connect Coty to new technology opportunities and increase our presence in the scientific community to establish recognized expertise in Nail innovation.
Lastly, an essential part of your role will be to develop every individual within your team to their fullest, setting high performance standards and nurturing the diversity of talent. You will also be responsible for anticipating how your team will need to evolve, identifying needed capabilities both within your organisation and through leveraging external partnerships (Fragrance Houses, suppliers, academia, research partners etc.) where appropriate. Some travel will be necessary as part of the role.
- Demonstrated leadership of basic and long term research R&D teams. Experience motivating and communicating with experts specialising in multiple different fields such as Technology Development, Process Development, Methods Development and Modelling/Simulation (amongst others).
- Significant record of achievement in the development and commercialization of new breakthrough products for the Nail category, including reactive technology and devices/lamps. Robust IP generation to protect technology developments.
- Proven record of technology transfer from non-cosmetic arena to apply to novel Nail product development
- Track record of delivering multiple business building innovation programs to market, spanning innovation types from Disruptive to Sustaining. Critical experience is the successful and rapid delivery of Disruptive Innovation to market.
- Innovative and creative thinking used to identify future innovation opportunities both in the terms of what is possible technically and working with other R&D disciplines/Education/Business teams to intersect this with what is needed by the business/desired by the consumer. This would ideally include both immediate category and category adjacency opportunities.
- A history of identifying and building productive external relationships with academia, research partners and/or digital providers would be an advantage.
- Robust understanding of budgets and demonstrable experience of sizeable budget governance.
- A passion for Beauty and Nails is advantageous and intellectual curiosity is a must
Our people make us who we are. They are the brightest minds bringing the boldest ideas to life every day. If you're the kind of person who refuses to settle, if you want to think bigger, learn faster and go further than you ever thought possible - we'd love to hear from you.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITES
We offer equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Coty complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact cotyjobsUS@cotyinc.com . We strongly believe that cultivating a diverse workplace gives a company strength. The combination of unique skills, abilities,
experiences and backgrounds creates an environment that produces extraordinary results. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
English - Please click on this link to review the Notification of Equal Opportunity Rights poster
Español - Por favor, haga un clic en el enlace para revisar el poster de la Ley de los Derechos de Igualdad de Empleo
Back to top