Vice President of Project Design
Who We Are:
At Convene, we're building a company that embraces visible and invisible diversity, encourages healthy integration of personal goals and professional development, and fosters community. Our team's evolution, values and culture have been at the forefront of what we do since our founding. With the meetings and office market growing rapidly and showing no signs of stopping, we are constantly evolving and growing our offerings from hosting meetings and events to providing a full suite of offerings for flexible co-working spaces.
The Design & Construction team at Convene is charged with developing spaces that are thoughtful, authentic, anticipatory, adaptive and elevating. We create rich, dynamic experiences for our customers and visitors while developing and embracing the new systems, tools and processes that allow us to execute projects faster and more cost effectively.
What You’ll Do:
As the leader of the internal Project Design team, you will develop, guide and lead the team in the development of space standards, typologies and procedures and guiding the overall design of Convene projects, working closely with our Creative Director, our talented internal design team and our partner architect and consultant network. The role is design team leadership at the highest level, orchestrating teams that are creating our new project designs.
You will report to the SVP of Design & Construction, partner with the VP-Creative Director and VP-Capital Projects, and lead a team of 20-30 designers and architects. As a professional services organization within Convene, your clients are the Convene Operations team, and you will regularly liaise with Real Estate, Sales, Innovation, Product, Marketing and other departments in the company.
What We Look For:
- Must have a degree in Architecture or Interior Design, with 12+ years working in the workplace and/or hospitality design business
- Must be proficient in design tools and techniques for managing teams
- Significant Revit experience and understanding required, along with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Smartsheets, Trello or other BI tools a plus
- Must be a self-starter with experience leading teams of varying skill levels, empowering and supporting the success of the team.
Understand and manage the workflow, assigning teams and individuals to appropriate tasks to both complete required projects and develop the talent and skill sets to allow them to continue to do more. Oversee and understand workloads and shift resources to address the needs and deliverable deadlines for the projects. Assure teams are equipped with the resources, guidance and support required to execute well
Challenge teams to move beyond the “last project” or the newest fad or trend, creating innovative designs that challenge the market place and set the ground work for the next new way of working. Develop and adopt innovative techniques, processes and tools, enabling reduced effort and time to elevate the experience of the projects delivered
Develop, edit, support and roll out standards and typologies that allow teams to focus project effort on the experience spaces that are the “wow” factors in our designs.
Be the point person on design oversight, working alongside VP, Creative Director, assuring the production is in line with quality standards, continuing to improve the level of experiential design, in line with brand pillars.
Orchestrate regular design reviews with internal design committees and elevate the clarity by which teams are presenting the work.
Move the designs produced beyond look and feel to fully integrated spatial designs, while developing and maintaining space typologies and standards.
Focus on team growth, in both numbers (new members) and in strength and skill set, making us collectively 1% better every day. Make development of the staff and team the priority of the group, training our replacements and building a team that can scale from within. Develop a high performing team that has high job satisfaction.
At Convene, we’re changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design and service the next generation office building – one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated “workplace-as-a-service” platform gives building tenants and enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting and event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, and curated experiences for users, all connected by Convene’s proprietary technology platform.
- Founded in 2009
- Locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles; Opening in Chicago in 2018 and plans to expand globally
- Launched Convene Workplace in 2017
- Ranked #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- Ranked #30 in 2017 LinkedIn Annual List of Industry Disruptors
- 2018 Great Places to Work US
- 2018 Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces NY
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together we’re building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy integration between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits You Can Expect as A Convene Employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growth—Have a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it. Each employee is required to have 65 hours of learning per year
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families
- Supportive work environment and a leader who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Back to top