Head of Real Estate
Founded in 2009, Convene is changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. We partner with the largest landlords in commercial real estate to design and service the next generation office building – one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated “workplace-as-a-service” platform gives building tenants and enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting and event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, and curated experiences for users, all connected by Convene’s proprietary technology platform.
Convene has locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., with plans to expand globally. We are honored to host the world’s most powerful and influential organizations at Convene, and to earn industry best NPS customer satisfaction ratings from them. More than 70% of Fortune 500 companies partner with Convene for meetings and events of all sizes. The company has been named one of America’s 100 Most Promising Companies by Forbes, one of America’s fastest growing companies by Inc. Magazine, and the #11 Best Workplace in New York by Fortune Magazine.
Convene seeks an experienced and resourceful Head of Real Estate to be a key part of an executive team that is redefining how hospitality is delivered in the modern workplace. Recently, Convene grew from four locations in one city to 15 facilities across four cities with a robust pipeline spanning several cities and locations. Our growth potential and expansion plans have attracted substantial resources, strategic capital partners and talent. We’re currently planning on opening 174 locations and 9.0MM square feet of inventory over the next 48 months globally.
The Head of Real Estate will serve as a key member of an extremely entrepreneurial and growth focused senior management team and will report directly to Convene’s CEO. The Head of Real Estate’s primary focus is to help lead the company’s real estate growth efforts; including Site Selection, Transaction Execution, Feasibility, Research, and Investment Committee process. He or she will be responsible for the company’s unit growth and he/she will function as the company's real estate leader, providing guidance on developing and implementing growth strategies, developing operational procedures and participating with the CEO in the development of strategic business plans.
An individual in this position should possess a strong, well-rounded business acumen, management and leadership skills and an understanding of what it takes to scale a high growth company (both organically and through M&A).
To develop and lead a best in class real estate organization and assume responsibility of all real estate related functions. This position requires a focused, entrepreneurial leader who can (a) define a clear vision and strategy for the real estate organization, (b) seamlessly work across all internal departments to ensure efficient and collaborative coordination of key viewpoints for location decisions and (c) simultaneously negotiate and build relationships with key property owners, service providers and stakeholders. The end goal is to ensure that the company builds a portfolio of highly profitable locations which, in the aggregate, ensure that the products and services the company provides to its clients are best in class, positioning the company for long term success and value creation for its various stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Real Estate will ensure that other key executives and company leaders are kept informed of the firm's progress towards annual and long-term objectives to facilitate effective decision-making. The Head of Real Estate will be responsible for implementing a process and systems based approach to all departmental functions across all key responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Site Selection, Product Fit, & Deal Prioritization:
- Develop strategy and process for systematic real estate location evaluation, selection and coordination
- Develop and manage process for internal communications of key dates and requests for information/collaboration related to real estate pipeline
- Coordinate with executive team and CEO to build attainable short term and long term growth plan
- Support architecture & design team in the development and standardization of both existing and new products
2. Deal Execution & Project Management:
- Ensure the deal structure in a given location and/or market achieves the ROIC targets and strategic objectives of the company
- Responsible for market research, financial models, analysis and preparation of Investment Memorandum for board consideration on new locations
- Manage the lease negotiation and contract process from LOI through lease execution.
- Partner with architecture, design, & project managed teams to ensure timely, quality, and on-budget delivery of construction projects
3. Lease Administration & Asset Management:
- Manage lease administration and compliance of all lease agreements
- Support finance department with annual lease audits
- Oversee on-going asset management of existing portfolio
4. Real Estate Department Budget & Annual Capex Requirements:
- 100% responsible for the Real Estate Department budget including payroll, travel & entertainment expenses, 3rd party fees, etc.
- Support operations and finance department in the annual budgeting process and portfolio review of CapEx and real estate related costs for budgeting
- Support CEO & CFO in the creations of the annual “growth” capex budget for new locations
5. Business Development & Relationship Management:
- Manage and grow relationships with key property owners and real estate service firms
- Identify and manage individual broker and legal partnerships in local markets
- Assist CEO and Head of Corporate Development with relationships with heads of real estate at key client firms to ensure strategic deal flow and client/partner satisfaction
- Support CEO & CFO on potential acquisitions as required
6. Management & Leadership:
- Responsible for all departmental hires including on-boarding, training, & development
- Lead weekly department meetings & one-v-one’s with key direct reports
- Conduct annual & bi-annual performance reviews
- Coach, mentor, and create individual SMART plans for direct reports
Meet Some of Convene's Employees
Co-Founder & President
The most exciting thing about Convene [...], is a humble concept of improving to be 1% better every single day, as individuals and also as a company.
Back to top