Founded in 2009, Convene is the nation’s fastest-growing network of meeting, event and conference venues, integrating technology, hospitality, culinary, and human-centered design to create a transformative user experience. In partnership with leading commercial landlords, the company also provides on-demand space and hospitality services for building tenants and their employees through the first-ever workplace-as-a-service (WaaS) platform. With locations in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., Convene has plans to expand to Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago in the future. Over 5,000 companies, including more than 65 percent of Fortune 100 companies, partner with Convene to host meetings and events of all sizes. Convene has been named one of Forbes’ 100 most promising companies, and one of Inc.’s fastest-growing companies. At the cornerstone of Convene’s massive growth, company culture remains an integral piece of Convene’s success. In 2016 Convene was awarded the Smart CEO top company culture award.
The General Manager oversees all aspects of the Location and Property Management in accordance with Convene’s vision, mission and values including our core principles. He/she is responsible for all aspects of the conference/program operations and drives the financial performance at the designated Convene location. He/she directs, implements and maintains the service, technology, production, and culinary philosophy which serves as a guide to respective staff to ensure 100% client satisfaction. Our employees carry our Core Values every day: genuine, relentless, integrity and teamwork.
- Degree in Hospitality, Business Administration, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience leading a catering and/or conference service operation in a progressive environment
Knowledge and Skills
- Working knowledge of technology and AV equipment, setup and usage
- Extensive knowledge of computers, specifically Salesforce and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, and liquor laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of financial statements, driving revenue, controlling cost.
- Flexible hours required
- Ability to move, lift, carry, push, pull and place objects up to 25 pounds without assistance
- Ability to reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
- Ability to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time
Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively communicate verbally and written, with all level of employees and clients; exhibiting GRIT – in all interactions.
- Work dynamically and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Convene standards, as required by scheduling, varying according to the needs of the facility
- Coordinate the setup and execution of all functions with the Service, Production and Culinary departments
- Comply with Convene standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations
- Maximize efforts towards productivity by identifying problem areas and implementing solutions
- Responsible for overseeing the Service team including hiring, staffing, scheduling, training, payroll, and conducting performance reviews in accordance with Convene standards.
- Ensure inspection of all conference center areas for cleanliness and maintenance on a regular basis
- Control and maintain all service equipment
- Create and maintain positive relationships with building management
- Oversee daily and weekly PEO meetings as well as weekly staff meetings
- Work with sales manager and other conference planning manager to ensure accuracy of Salesforce
- Develop client relationships to ensure a successful event.
- Oversee Production team and ensure proper planning, upselling, detailing, proper room blocks, and professional communication to clients
- Build relationships with all local competitors and surrounding businesses
- Assist Culinary team in preparing creative menu offerings from banquet menu guide
- Understand both monthly forecasting and the annual budget process
- Responsible for monthly P&L
- Actively participate in industry related organizations (i.e. NACE, MPI)
- Thorough knowledge of sales techniques including strong closing skills as well as negotiating skills
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures are consistent, up to date and being followed
- Review and update all internal and external forms and processes quarterly to ensure continuous improvement and quality standards
- Ensure Convene brand standards are being executed
- Assist with developing healthy employee relations environment, including employee motivation and coaching.
- Establish strategic plan and lead site via specific action steps to achieve financial, quality goals and survey scores
- Work with purchasing & vendors on competitive pricing
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned per VP, Operations
- Acute Awareness of SELF & Others
- Emotional Intelligence
- Dynamic Communication
- Customer Focus
- High Energy Relationships
- Problem solving/Decision making
- Business Accumen
Meet Some of Convene's Employees
Co-Founder & President
The most exciting thing about Convene [...], is a humble concept of improving to be 1% better every single day, as individuals and also as a company.
Back to top