Director of Sales & Marketing
Convene will soon be opening its first three locations in Downtown LA in Q1 2018.
Convene is the first “workplace-as-a-service company” with a mission to improve the way the world works through service and hospitality. We operate a branded network of full-service meeting and event venues and partner with 70 percent of the Fortune 500 to help them work better, enhance collaboration, and achieve their goals. We truly believe that environments have the power to positively influence the activities that happen within them. The creativity and productivity that is cultivated within our spaces lead to amazing ideas and a better flow of business.
We have also spent a lot of time thinking about what the future of meetings and workplace hospitality looks like and we’re actively working to build that vision. Our next stage of growth is partnering with the leading commercial real estate landlords to bring hospitality services and “Google-like” amenities to office buildings around the country and help office buildings run like full-service lifestyle hotels.
Working at Convene means building, learning, collaborating, growing, and celebrating every day. Convene understands that professional and personal growth can’t be isolated and we offer robust leadership, service, and training programs to all employees such as Energy Leadership and Harvard Manage Mentor courses. Our corporate benefits also include subsidized health care, 401K and life insurance. We also provide generous paid time off, holiday policies, parental leave, and paid volunteer time. We are a very collaborative and social group as well and often host team outings, happy hours, birthday celebrations, fundraisers, and charity events.
Convene is a values first organization. We deliver our platform through our culture and values based decisions. Leaders that join our team are values aligned, collaborative and continuously seek opportunities be 1% better every day.
The director of sales and marketing position is responsible for planning and implementing sales, marketing and community development programs to meet and exceed budgeted revenue. This position will establish both short and long range goals, targeted toward existing and new markets by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Embody and evangelize company values, mission and vision.
- Commit to perpetual self-improvement and education. Be curious.
- Organize, build, lead, manage, grow and inspire best available talent in every seat in the Los Angeles region.
- Meet and exceed revenue and brand equity growth through:
- Increase internal capacity: talent recruiting, management, training, productivity, culture etc.
- Drive platform revenue opportunities and awareness: Proactive sales, upsells, partnerships, affiliate sales, product and package innovation, collaborations with marketing etc.
- Optimize booking conversion, account penetration, loyalty and evangelism.
- Increase revenue stability and visibility: Drive pre-sales, repeat and subscription revenue, contracted revenue, master service agreements, off-season / off-hour strategies, etc.
- Develop, evaluate and maintain referral partner and affiliate opportunities.
People, Culture and Training
- Develop comprehensive team who incorporate centralized and decentralized structure to maximize account retention, prospect new business and fully penetrate accounts.
- Training for all team members (Directors, Managers, Coordinators, etc.) on weekly/monthly sales skills, reporting, P&L, pace, forecasting. .
- Coordinate appropriate food and beverage training, sales training to ensure 100% knowledge of products and up-selling skills.
- Inspire and motivate team via direct leadership as well as tactical execution of sales incentive program, and targeted ad hoc incentives
- Ensure clear and regular communications and coordination between sales team and operations.
- Conduct annual team performance evaluations; develop sales team bench strength.
- Create and distribute 90 day weekly forecast.
- Identify “need” periods in coming year, develop and implement strategies and tactical action plans to fill voids. Communicate need periods and corresponding strategies to sales and ops teams
- In conjunction with Corporate Revenue Management, Review and revise pricing quarterly based upon market and comp set analysis.
- Establish individual booking goals for team for each quarter as well as stretch goals for each property.
- Ensure that booking guidelines are followed, and that all properties are optimizing space utilization and revenue.
- Prepares periodic sales report showing sales volume, potential sales, and areas of proposed client base expansion.
Planning and Organizing
- Along with Regional Director of Operations, oversee Regional Business planning process
- Develop and execute a comprehensive marketing plan with targeted strategies and tactics to drive revenue and property performance in all areas which will include a critical path, accountability, and defined targeted outcomes
- Creation and implementation of Regional Sales expense budget
- Creation of annual and quarterly sales goals, by property, by sales person
- Oversee execution of bi-annual comp set analysis.
- Keep team up-to-date on procedures, policies and changes etc.
- Communicate and maintain mutual understanding with other department heads.
- Ensure the SOPs are up to date and being followed.
- Conduct monthly Sales/Planning (i.e. Operations) meeting.
- Conduct weekly property Sales/Revenue meetings.
Marketing & Brand Awareness
- Establish and oversee execution of annual Marketing plans.
- Launch new regional properties and brands. Task force for special projects and new builds.
- Represent Convene at appropriate client and customer events, exhibitions, trade shows, professional meetings as necessary, specific community events, tourism agencies and political venues when in the property’s best interest
- Participate in Sales & Marketing activities which foster team support, portfolio synergy and overall input for constant improvement/innovation.
- Maintain an active role in important strategic, professional industry organizations as necessary
- Ensure implementation and support of all corporate sales and marketing initiates and require necessary metric/measurement procedures to assess results.
- Develop and execute comprehensive marketing programs that drive awareness and loyalty to brand and traffic to website.
- Coordinate content-driven, activated community and client events to promote brand awareness.
- Communicate and form partnerships with media, promoters, hotels and entertainment agencies to maintain cooperative, positive mutually beneficial relationships
- Develop creative content strategies to drive engagement on social media.
- Reviews and analyzes sales performances against programs, quotes and plans to determine effectiveness.
- Genuine interest and passion for Convene, its mission and values
- Understanding and respect for responsibilities and implications of success and failure
- Independently motivated and inspired by working in a dynamic environment. comfortable with change, ability to derive opportunity from uncertainty.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in sales and leadership.
- Coach Centric leadership – ability to lead with empathy
- Analytical, and Strategy Thinking
- Client Focus Mindset
- Results Oriented.
- Dynamic Communication
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- The ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
This position reports to the VP, Sales in New York; manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Meet Some of Convene's Employees
Co-Founder & President
The most exciting thing about Convene [...], is a humble concept of improving to be 1% better every single day, as individuals and also as a company.
Back to top