Assistant General Manager
At Convene, we’re changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design and service the next generation office building – one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated “workplace-as-a-service” platform gives building tenants and enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting and event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, and curated experiences for users, all connected by Convene’s proprietary technology platform. Founded in 2009, Convene has locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., with plans to expand globally. The company has been named one of America’s 100 Most Promising Companies by Forbes, one of America’s fastest growing companies by Inc. Magazine, and the #11 Best Workplace in New York by Fortune Magazine.
The Assistant General Manager helps oversee all aspects of the Location and Property Management in accordance with Convene’s vision, mission and values including our core principles. He/she is responsible for supporting the General Manager in all aspects of the conference/program operations. He/she implements and maintains the service, technology, production, and culinary philosophy which serves as a guide to respective staff to ensure 100% client satisfaction. Our employees carry our Core Values every day: genuine, relentless, integrity and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Business Administration, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience leading a catering and/or conference service operation in a progressive environment
- Working knowledge of technology and AV equipment, setup and usage
- Extensive knowledge of computers, specifically Salesforce and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, and liquor laws and regulations
- Working knowledge of financial statements, driving revenue, controlling cost.
- Flexible hours required
- Ability to move, lift, carry, push, pull and place objects up to 25 pounds without assistance
- Ability to reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
- Ability to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time
- Effectively communicate verbally and written, with all level of employees and clients; exhibiting GRIT – in all interactions.
- Work dynamically and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Convene standards, as required by scheduling, varying according to the needs of the facility
- Coordinate the setup and execution of all functions with the Service, Production and Culinary departments
- Comply with Convene standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations
- Maximize efforts towards productivity by identifying problem areas and implementing solutions
- Responsible for overseeing the Service team including hiring, staffing, scheduling, training, payroll, and conducting performance reviews in accordance with Convene standards.
- Ensure inspection of all conference center areas for cleanliness and maintenance on a regular basis
- Control and maintain all service equipment
- Create and maintain positive relationships with building management
- Oversee daily and weekly PEO meetings as well as weekly staff meetings
- Work with sales manager and other conference planning manager to ensure accuracy of Salesforce
- Develop client relationships to ensure a successful event.
- Oversee Production team and ensure proper planning, upselling, detailing, proper room blocks, and professional communication to clients
- Build relationships with all local competitors and surrounding businesses
- Assist Culinary team in preparing creative menu offerings from banquet menu guide
- Understand both monthly forecasting and the annual budget process
- Understand monthly P&L
- Thorough knowledge of sales techniques including strong closing skills as well as negotiating skills
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures are consistent, up to date and being followed
- Review and update all internal and external forms and processes quarterly to ensure continuous improvement and quality standards
- Ensure Convene brand standards are being executed
- Assist with developing healthy employee relations environment, including employee motivation and coaching.
- Establish strategic plan and lead site via specific action steps to achieve financial, quality goals and survey scores
- Work with purchasing & vendors on competitive pricing
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned per General Manager or Area Director of Ops
- Acute Awareness of SELF & Others
- Emotional Intelligence:
- Dynamic Communication:
- Customer Focus:
- High Energy Relationships
- Problem solving/Decision making:
- Business Acumen
Back to top