Area Director of Operations
Project Director London
Who We Are:
At Convene, we're building a company that embraces visible and invisible diversity, encourages healthy integration of personal goals and professional development, and fosters community. Our team's evolution, values and culture have been at the forefront of what we do since our founding. With the meetings and office market growing rapidly and showing no signs of stopping, we are constantly evolving and growing our offerings from hosting meetings and events to providing a full suite of offerings for flexible co-working spaces.
Convene seeks an experienced and resourceful Area Director of Operations to be a key part of launching the brand within our first international location: The United Kingdom. Our teams are redefining how hospitality is delivered in the modern workplace. Convene grew from four locations in one city to 20 facilities across five cities with multiple business products. We have a robust pipeline spanning several cities and locations.
What You'll Do:
As a direct report to the COO, the Area Director of Operations will be accountable for a range of responsibilities, including the following:
- Maximize the organization's growth, brand recognition, and profitability in the UK while leading and managing all company operations' functions
- Establish and foster a strong culture which embraces the foundational principles of Convene while celebrating the local personality of the region
- Implement programs and processes to optimize workflow
- Partner with Sales, Marketing and Revenue management to drive rate and occupancy across the regional portfolio
- Support Real Estate team with securing new locations
- Review and approve plans to control budget spending, manage labor efficiency, implement new areas of technology and deliver exceptional customer service
- Drive performance against business plans, analyze market conditions and are directly accountable for the operating KPIs against their respective portfolios of properties
- Ensure consistency of the Convene brand offering and maintain close relationship ties with US based operations team
- Collaborate with other company departments and segments of management to establish and execute cross-disciplinary responsibilities.
- Assume the role of local brand ambassador as the region ramps and expands
- Deliver feedback to the corporate team as opportunities or threats are identified which impact Convene's ability to further expand the business
- Champion the implementation of new/evolving products and services
- Evaluate potential partnerships accretive to the Convene brand
What We Look For:
An individual in this position should possess:
- Well-rounded business acumen
- An understanding of what it takes to scale a high growth company
- An understanding and experience with a US-based company
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to recruit and motivate employees
- Effective leadership and people management skills focused on creating relationships with staff, peers and bosses
- Creativity, a sense of humor, an entrepreneurial mindset, and focus on results
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software/products and an aptitude for BI tools
- Ability to travel due to our international presence and the capacity to adapt to change
- Ability to work flexible and extended hours as needed
- Bachelor's degree in business or a major related field
- Operations experience in increasingly responsible leadership positions. A candidate with 12-15 years of experience, or any other candidate with equivalent levels of skill or knowledge may be suited to the role.
At Convene, we're changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design and service the next generation office building - one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated "workplace-as-a-service" platform gives building tenants and enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting and event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, and curated experiences for users, all connected by Convene's proprietary technology platform.
- Founded in 2009
- Locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles; Opening in Chicago in 2019 and plans to expand globally
- Launched Convene Workplace in 2017
- Ranked #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- Ranked #30 in 2017 LinkedIn Annual List of Industry Disruptors
- 2018 Great Places to Work US
- 2018 Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces NY
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy integration between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits You Can Expect as A Convene Employee:
- Competitive salary along with generous, flexible PTO
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growth-Have a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families
- Supportive work environment and a leader who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Advert posting date: September 26, 2019. All applications must be received by October 27, 2019.
Meet Some of Convene's Employees
Karen C.Technical Product Manager
Karen collaborates with the Convene Engineering Team to ensure the company’s online booking application meets both client and business requirements.
Back to top