Indirect Underwriter – Buyer
The Indirect Underwriter – Buyer is primarily responsible for underwriting a high volume of loans exercising skills and judgment in the extension of credit. Accountabilities include ensuring that loans are properly underwritten in compliance with existing regulations, established policies and guidelines, and maintaining adequate controls. The position ensures quality of service and the credit union’s professional image is maintained by delivering services efficiently and in a positive/ professional manner
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing dealer relationships.
- Approve, decline or counter indirect and consumer loan applications, using discretion based on loan policy and underwriting guidelines.
- Review applications for accuracy, completeness and cross-sell opportunities. Review loan requests that warrant additional consideration and loan requests requiring secondary review.
- Exercise judgment and assume responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or service quality within the functional area.
- Support the indirect and consumer loan process from interview to close with manual and automated underwriting systems.
- Ensure that loans are properly underwritten and processed and that adequate controls are maintained.
- Assist in the development of training for lending personnel on systems, products, services, policies and procedures, governmental rules and regulations, and keeping updated on related changes.
- Keep abreast of changes in the industry and changing trends in lending and make recommendations to maintain competitiveness.
- Assists in analyzing and monitoring lending reports to maintain adequate credit quality and portfolio performance.
- Provide excellent internal and external member service, respond to inquiries in a prompt and professional manner and lead by example.
- Attend annual dealer event on weekends.
- Visit dealer partners with Indirect Relationship Manager quarterly.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree or related loan operations and underwriting experience.
- Indirect credit analysis experience preferred.
- Work schedule will consist of 1 to 2 Saturdays per month and at least one late night per week.
- Ability to work extended hours – including after normal business hours, some weekends and holidays required.
- Professional appearance; builds rapports with members; enjoys working with people.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior technical skills. Familiar with origination systems and relevant business software.
- Self-directed with strong decision-making ability.
- Ability to analyze personal financial income, credit and assets.
- Understanding of Consumers products and services.
- Knowledge of related loan government regulations and Credit Union policies.
What you didn't know about the team:
At Consumers, you're joining a team that works closely together and counts on one another. You'll find the people here enjoy an unusual high level of camaraderie.
Consumers offers a 401(k) plan that provides a 100 percent match up to your first 10 percent of contribution following one year of employment. Plus generous paid time off, paid gym memberships, in-house training, wellness programs, life coaches, tuition reimbursement, and more. And don’t forget, loan discounts.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity.
We are a proud Veteran & Military Friendly Employer.