Manager, Web Development - Consumer Services
Consumer Reports has spent the last 80 years advancing the rights of citizens, consumers, and families. We’ve passed key legislation, enacted regulations, and held corporations to account. Through our high circulation publications, large digital presence, comprehensive product testing, extensive policy expertise, and 10M+ community members, we fight for a safe, fair, and equitable market for everyone.
We are at an exciting moment in the history of Consumer Reports. We are building our capacity to achieve significant, measurable, and meaningful changes for American consumers through comprehensive federal, state, and corporate campaigns. Consumer Reports is unique in its role as a social enterprise with the capacity to spark national conversations, shine a spotlight on problems in the marketplace, and raise consumer voices. As the Manager of Web Development for Consumer Services, you’ll oversee the development of digital products that take advantage of our strength to win key victories with and for consumers.
As a member of the organization-wide technology group, you’ll leverage technology to maintain existing, as well as create new, digital products to support our campaign and engagement efforts, as well as build the product experience that allow community members to lead local efforts and drive national campaigns. You’ll work in an Agile environment, collaborating with digital product, UX/UI, research, content and other key partners manage the technology stack required to power and grow our work.
This position manages and leads software engineers and is responsible for influencing technology decisions related to our web properties. This role requires strong collaboration with product and project managers, UX designers, QA and Operations staff following agile methods and best practices.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of software development experience; experience as a team lead strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of web development a must.
- Background with extensive software engineering work with agile methodologies using languages such as Java, Ruby, Python, as well as expertise in architecture, operations and systems support.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in high-performance and scalable customer-facing web applications, performance monitoring and optimization, and cloud infrastructure environments.
- Extensive experience with content repositories and relational databases such as Oracle or MySQL. Knowledge of no-SQL database technologies such as MongoDB a plus.
- Mobile development in responsive, cross-browser, cross-platform compatible pages is a plus
- Good understanding of digital marketing techniques and applicable technology solutions including real-time user monitoring, analytics, A/B testing, SEO, and website usability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a collaborative team approach.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills across all departments in the organization.
- Commits to continuous learning and development
- Focuses self and others on action and results
- Inspires others to embrace and lead change including leveraging key influencers to champion change
- Builds cross-functional support for initiatives, shares vision and priorities with all stakeholders
- Leverages knowledge of the competitive landscape, marketplace trends, best practices and technology to improve CR’s ability to compete
- Keeps current on external trends and developments
- Sets up staff and teams for success, sets and communicates clear measurable goals
- Invests time to ensure stakeholder understanding and buy-in
- Responsible for the architecture, development, release and maintenance of applications and systems for high-volume customer facing websites.
- Directs the activities of web development staff in the areas of task scheduling, technical design, implementation and software development best practices. Provide technical guidance to development team to ensure sustainable and scalable solutions are delivered.
- Collaborates with business leaders and other IT groups to prioritize projects and maximize the effectiveness of Web technologies in supporting business strategy.
- Manages requests from the businesses working with IT project managers to ensure project objectives are met according to schedule.
- Ensures the coordination of all Web development activities, ensuring integration with other technologies utilized in the enterprise and continuity across applications.
- Develops standards for project initiation, design, development and support.
- Maintains knowledge of emerging internet technology trends to educate IT and other divisions on the business opportunities in the adoption of new technologies.
- May work on multiple, complex projects in a lead or subject matter expert role.
- Responsible for hiring, development and evaluation of applications development staff; coaches and mentors more junior staff.
- Assures quality Web solution by developing and completing test plans; maintaining project and technical documentation.
- Meets cost standards by monitoring expenses; implementing cost-saving actions.
- Ensure web deliverables and tasks are fully aligned for optimal UX experience and SEO best practice.
- Coordinate technical needs of engineering team to dev-ops team, and track delivery of operational system needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Meet Some of Consumer Reports's Employees
Quality Assurance Manager
Seema works in IT, managing a QA Team tasked with optimizing CR’s website and ensuring an error free experience for visitors to CR.org.
Back to top