IoT Testing Manager
- Yonkers, NY
We’re looking for a lab testing program manager who lives and breathes privacy. Our experts put thousands of products to the test each year in our 63 labs. These result in product ratings and also recommendations to manufacturers to make their products better.
With signifigant investment in our Digital Lab, we will begin incorporating privacy and data security scores for all of the connected product categories we test. We will also screen for problems with privacy policies and data security, which often results in discovering and disclosing vulnerabilities.
That’s where you come in. You will manage two project leaders who will manage time-bound projects to incorporate privacy and security tests for products ranging from TVs, to laptops, to fridges, to robotic vacuums. You will oversee all aspects of a wide range of product testing projects related to privacy and information security of network and Internet-connected consumer products (both hardware and software). You will own planning, development, deployment, support and successful delivery of all phases of assigned product testing work as part of an overarching marketplace change strategy. You’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to original investigative research with CR journalists and advocates.
This is a great career opportunity for a researcher or technologist interested in making a measurable impact on consumer privacy, cybersecurity, and the lived quality of IoT. You will solve a steady stream of interesting challenges, be exposed to the latest hardware and software from hundreds of manufacturers, and have the opportunity to take them apart, probe them, and increase public knowledge in a way that benefits millions of people.
- Manages complex privacy and security testing programs, ensuring appropriate planning, coordination and oversight of test projects related to data privacy and internet security while monitoring timelines and costs.
- Manages two Privacy Project Leaders, supporting their professional development and establishing methods and tools for testing
- Maintain internal tools and knowledge bases for test technicians tasked with evaluating privacy and security
- Develops and maintains training for various teams (Technicians, Content, PLs, etc.)
- Oversees, and approves elements of assigned programs from inception to completion.
- Responsible for program tactics, proposal development, product testing design, assessment of product and service evaluation methodologies, evaluation of outcomes and ratings as well as documenting reports of results.
- Ensures that data meet established standards for accuracy, repeatability, reproducibility, and dependability.
- Reviews content to ensure the information is technically accurate, defensible, and current.
- Ensures a holistic view of consumer needs is developed, understood and central to the product and services evaluation programs.
- Develops, maintains relationships and coordinates activities with internal and external experts in related fields. Determines how best to utilize relevant internal and external resources.
- Identifies and contracts with appropriate external resources to complete projects as necessary. Responsible for the Request for Proposal (RFP) process to engage resources and negotiates details of various vendor contracts and deliverables. Monitors and tracks work of external vendors to ensure strict adherence to negotiated contracts and protocols.
- Partners with Content Development staff to ensure technical accuracy.
- Drafts test protocols including identifying, updating and iterating methodologies as necessary.
- Oversees the work of assigned project staff; scheduling and monitoring work. Trains and coaches project staff, providing feedback on performance as needed.
- Coordinates with functional manager to enable appropriate availability of resources.
- BS college degree or equivalent background with 7+ years experience in consumer or enterprise information security, product engineering, or applicable field
- Familiarity with privacy and security trends and concerns in the development and deployment of connected products
- Familiarity with penetration testing techniques and risk/attack vector analysis
- Experience with network security analysis and penetration testing tools such as Kali, Wireshark, Burp, WiFi Pineapple, Metasploit, Shodan, Snipr, etc
- Experience with smartphone and app analysis tools, such as Android Studio, Qark, Androwarn, Lumen
- Excellent organization, communication, and collaboration skills. Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, including technical report-writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, with enthusiasm for team-based projects and activities
- Experience with tool and web development, agile workflows, OSINT tools such as Buscador and developing training materials would be preferred.
- Ability to complete complex assignments requiring ingenuity, originality and resourcefulness.
- Attention to detail, using well-defined methods and documentation to support analysis.
Back to top