Director, Sustainability (Advocacy Division)
- Washington, DC
Our climate is changing, the quality of our air is getting worse, while toxic chemicals are showing up in our food, water and household products. These are serious environmental problems that affect the everyday lives of consumers, so, with our commitment to a fair and just marketplace, CR is now bringing its full power to address climate change and other sustainability issues. We’re looking for a Director, Sustainability to help
build and execute a strategy to bend the curve of consumption toward a sustainable future.
As Director, you will provide the vision, leadership, development, and coordination of strategies to influence demand, supply and public policy. You will build and secure the strategic partnerships and financial investment needed to achieve our sustainability goals, in partnership with senior leadership, the development team, and colleagues from across the organization.
A cover letter is required with resume submission.
What you will do
- Build strategic and operational plans to scope, define and advance CR’s Sustainability strategy.
- Develop internal partnerships to bring together the unique strengths of CR's multiple divisions for maximum impact.
- Engage with external stakeholders and coalitions, including climate and sustainability experts, policymakers, NGOs, academia, and others to build partnerships to advance the work.
- Serve as a sustainability and policy spokesperson and thought leader for the organization, expanding CR’s influence and profile.
- Manage advocacy's sustainability policy staff to achieve strategic impact goals.
- Partner with the Development team and senior CR leadership to build a substanial philanthropic investment in CR's sustainability work.
- Partner with CR’s Mobilization, Strategic Communications, and Marketing teams to advance consumer engagement through campaigns that champion the rights of consumers and achieve policy, regulatory, and marketplace victories.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience building and managing programs, leading teams, and supporting development initiatives with a clear track record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or JD degree preferred.
- Subject matter expertise on climate solutions, clean energy, waste reduction or other sustainability-related issues. You understand the scale, nuance, market players, consumer behaviors, and political discourse surrounding the issues.
- Understanding of corporations, Congress and federal agencies.
- Experience with fundraising campaigns, pitching funders, and grant writing.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
Back to top