Communications Associate, Transportation and Energy Policy
Consumer Reports seeks an enthusiastic communications team member to work on its transportation and energy advocacy work. The position would involve all aspects of communications strategy, message development, and targeted outreach and amplification on a variety of policy topics including fuel economy, electric vehicles, new mobility options like shared and self-driving vehicles, and efficiency, renewable energy, electric utilities, and fair consumer utility rates at the state and federal levels. This position is a recently renewed two year grant-funded role with possibility of extension. The Associate will support CR’s advocacy work focused on transportation and energy policy and analysis.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field plus at least 3 years’ experience in public relations, corporate communications, journalism or similar. Excellent verbal and written communications skills targeting press, decision makers, and the public. Experience with traditional media outreach and social media outreach with an advocacy organization or campaign preferred.
- Experience in automotive, utility, energy, or environmental field and familiarity with public policy and regulatory framework
- Existing relationships with reporters, bloggers, or thought leaders in the transportation and energy space.
- Experience reaching out to diverse audiences from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and interests.
- Basic knowledge/experience with the WordPress web publishing tool to help publish content online.
- Familiarity with media databases such as Cision and VOCUS PR to develop media lists and issue press releases and related content.
- Experience with design tools such as inDesign, Piktochart, Canva or similar tool to develop fact sheets, infographics, shareable graphics for social media
- Works in tandem with federal and state-based coalitions to develop and execute a communications strategy to help increase the presence of consumer issues and voices in policy debates related to transportation and energy;
- Spearheads rapid response at the state and national levels on a regular basis
- Develops infographics, fact sheets, and other materials
- Develops strategies, messages, and framing of policy issues for reaching decision makers, the media, and the public
- Promotes key findings of CU and CR research and analysis to state and national audiences
- Drafts, incorporates feedback, and pitchs/distributes op-eds, press releases, social media and other content for local and national audiences
- Creates and posts blogs and other content using web publishing tools
- Helps identify local and state opportunities for media and consumer engagement
- Other duties as assigned
Meet Some of Consumer Reports's Employees
Quality Assurance Manager
Seema works in IT, managing a QA Team tasked with optimizing CR’s website and ensuring an error free experience for visitors to CR.org.
Back to top