Associate Director, Strategic Communications
The Associate Director, Strategic Communications reports to the Director, Strategic Communications and is responsible for leading a team that will develop and execute communications strategies for CR’s priority issues across each CR Consumer Impact Area (CIAs): Food, Technology, Money, Health, Home, and Transportation.
- Works with the Director to carry out the Strategic Communications function, working across CR Consumer Impact Areas.
- Identifies key strategic opportunities around priority issues, while monitoring breaking news, emerging business trends, and other external factors that offer opportunities to proactively insert CR into the daily news cycle.
- Helps manage the development of overall messaging, supporting communications materials (e.g., talking points, presentations, speeches, op-eds, social content, etc.), and provides counsel on other documents such as policy reports and white papers.
- Operates collaboratively across a highly matrixed organization, including Testing, Content, Advocacy, and Mobilization, as well as supporting functions including media relations, marketing, content, social media, development, HR, legal, and finance to forge strong alignment and ensure we identify potential opportunities and fully leverage existing ones.
- Helps manage efficient decision-making for stakeholders to have an opportunity to provide input into strategic communications, but at the same time, ensure that we do not miss real-time opportunities.
- Partners with the Core Communications function to drive strategy, direction and support of media relations and thought leadership initiatives by each CIA, and provide strategic counsel on content-oriented media promotion and reaction to published content
- Works with Advocacy and Mobilization on the assessment of and concepting of priority issues, messaging, campaigns and tactics to advance CR’s efforts across CIAs, and organize media training for key Advocacy spokespeople.
- Works with Marketing and Development to help concept and ensure consistent messaging and coordination of outbound communications that highlight and advance the priority issues in the Strategic Plan, as well as ensure that our communications for issues in the Plan (e.g., privacy, arbitrations clauses) are aligned with the practices and goals of these teams.
This position requires a minimum of 7 years of experience providing strategic communications leadership in a mission and/or content driven organization. The Associate Director role requires strategic planning and project management skills; world-class understanding of multi-disciplinary communications tactics; the ability to consider and synthesize many points of view; marketplace awareness across commercial, policy and non-profit audiences; keen judgement and thoughtful and transparent decision-making; and well-developed organizational, communication and troubleshooting skills.
Back to top