Application/Protocol Engineer (OpenLaw)
ConsenSys is a venture production studio and the leading technology firm in blockchain globally. We deliver products, solutions and platforms built using blockchain technology to transform how business is done in complex network of buyers, suppliers and consumers.
Our teams are busy at work building the future of identity, financial markets, commerce, the music industry, security, and infrastructure, and more. To accomplish this we've built out a flat organizational structure which we call the ConsenSys Mesh: a network of individuals & teams working autonomously and towards the same goal. Our mission is to use these decentralized solutions to fundamentally reshape the economic, social, and political operating systems of the planet. If you are someone that thrives in a fast-paced environment where being self-directed, determined, and resilient are a requirement, we would love for you to join us.
About OpenLaw at ConsenSys:
OpenLaw is building a layer two blockchain product to streamline commercial operations. . We aim to reimagine the future of commerce and the $160 billion transactional legal market.
This is a remote-first role, with support and team members available in various time zones -- appealing to those that may prefer more nomadic lifestyle (or not!).
At its core, OpenLaw is a multi-module blockchain-based protocol and markup language to prepare, manage, and execute smart legal agreements. Using the OpenLaw protocol, you can seamlessly execute a range of commercial transactions by generating binding natural-language agreements, storing the signed contracts on a blockchain, and having those agreements interact with smart contracts written in code.
We use Scala as our main programming language along with React for our frontend. Our backend uses LevelDB, Secure Scuttlebutt and Ethereum to store, search, and verify data. We are product driven and committed to open source. That means our end goal is to deliver the best and fastest product possible for our users and to do so in a community driven manner.
OpenLaw is a remote-first organization with team members distributed across the globe. We are committed to building both our team and our software in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable fashion.
We are currently looking for experienced engineers to join our team. This is a role for engineers who can collaborate with a team to architect and deliver feature upgrades and improvements. Engineering partners in this role have built features such as custom integrations and have implemented significant changes to the application architecture. You should be comfortable working in diverse development ecosystems and collaboratively within a rapidly growing team.
- Implement OpenLaw feature upgrades, improvements, and architectural builds
- Collaborate with the team to ship major product builds
- Provide thoughtful implementation estimates and build functionality that is fast, scalable, and upholds sustainable development goals and principles
- Keep our users happy by maintaining the software, troubleshooting, and fixing bugs
- 5+ years professional development experience
- Experience working within a remote-first and globally distributed team
- Experience in API Design (REST or other)
- Strong familiarity with functional programming methodologies
- Comfortable working on multiple codebases, with the ability to quickly understand new projects and tooling systems
- Previous development experience using Scala, Akka, CQRS or Domain Driven Design
- Experience implementing distributed systems
- An active interest or involvement with the broader open source community
- Experience in language design and formal verification systems
- High-level understanding of public-private key encryption algorithms and other cryptographic related subjects (such as zero knowledge proofs)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure)
At OpenLaw, you must balance passion for technology while knowing when and how to focus the conversation on our users. We enjoy an open and freedom to explore and experiment. We are continuously iterating together on improving our work methodology, team culture while working from any location.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.
Back to top