An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
What is the Role?
Coney Island Prep is looking for an amazing, dedicated Operations Manager to join us for the 2021-2022 school year! The mission of the school’s Operations Team is to make teaching better and easier by directly supporting the academic program. The Operations Manager (OM) position is integral to the success of this mission, as they will ensure our staff and our scholars’ have everything they need – from materials and supplies to a beautiful and high-functioning work environment – to maximize student achievement.
The OM will implement and manage clear systems, revising them as necessary or needed, so that Coney Island Prep runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis. They will work to ensure all staff can focus on students rather than materials, supplies, etc. They will oversee and optimize the school’s purchasing, inventory, facilities, and technology environment and will ensure Coney Island Prep is a beautiful, seamless and high-functioning learning environment. The OM will also be responsible for managing the school nutrition program, student and staff event planning, as well as the student transportation system. The OM will be hired by and report to the Director of Operations.
What You’ll Be Asked To Do (Includes, but not limited to)
Purchasing, Inventory and Financial Management
- Oversee approval process, staff communication and documentation associated with purchasing of school materials, uniforms, equipment, etc.
- Work with Director of Operations to track school expenses against annual budget and forecast future spending needs
- Maximize resources by negotiating and diligently researching pricing on school purchases
- Create and oversee detailed inventory systems to ensure the school always has the materials necessary to function without downtime
Facilities and Technology
- Relentlessly oversee and maintain the school’s physical condition
- Ensure that all spaces are neat, organized, beautiful and optimized for their designated use
- Work closely and seamlessly with the school’s custodial team
- Maintain all classroom and shared-space technology (projectors, copiers, etc.) to make teaching better and easier for all staff
- Oversee school nutrition program, including coordination and distribution of breakfast, lunch and snack as well as all compliance and reporting requirements
- Assist teammates in planning and executing all student and family events, including family conferences, field trips, etc.
- Manage shared space reservation and calendars
- Help execute arrival, lunch, dismissal, transportation and other whole-school systems (specific duties will vary by campus)
- Create and maintain teacher-friendly systems for photocopy and poster creation
- Create a welcome main office environment for families by providing top notch customer service
- Support student needs as necessary including health needs
- Serve as the primary point of contact for staff and student technology support including reservations, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Additional support at the request of the Director of Operations
What You’ll Need
- Maintain professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Willingness to take on physical and sometimes menial tasks necessary for the greater good
- Interpersonal skills to foster excellent relationships with families, scholars and staff across lines of sameness and difference
- Passionate dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission, with a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college and career of their choice
- Detail and solutions-oriented mindset
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1 year or more of operational work in a fast-paced, demanding work environment (charter school experience preferred)
- Strong experience with Excel
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Russian proficiency a plus
Who are you?
You’re all in. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. Our work is high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. You work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Who are we?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including:
- 200 scholars in kindergarten – second grade at the lower elementary school
- 220 scholars in third – fifth grade at the upper elementary school
- 280 scholars in sixth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 340 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Our Response and Responsibilities During the Pandemic
Recognizing how this pandemic disproportionally affects communities of color, we have taken steps to meet our mission in a number of ways. In addition to sharing our blueprint in approaching virtual and at distance learning, we have allocated resources for familial support, distributed hundreds of devices to sustain techquity amongst students, and provided over 100,000 meals throughout the south Brooklyn neighborhood to date.
As we strive towards a future where we can resume in-person teaching, we have designed and executed on plans to provide testing resources and contingency plans for campuses. Furthermore, our teams are leveraging technology, trauma informed practices, & health & safety protocols to ensure we are meeting our mission of putting students first. Despite the constraints that distance learning provides, educators are still responsible for connecting with students, fostering critical thinking, sustaining high expectations all while operating safely, efficiently, and effectively.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role. Starting Operations salaries range from $65,000-$70,000, based on experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology, resources, and hugs needed to succeed in their role.
Are you “All In?” This is an immediate start position. To apply, head to our Careers Page!
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.