High School Math Teacher
- Brooklyn, NY
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
High School Math Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
What is the Role?
Coney Island Prep is looking for an amazing High School Math Teacher to join us for the 2020-2021 school year! Located in the Gravesend neighborhood of Brooklyn, our high school was founded in 2013 and operates grades ninth through twelfth grade. Teachers teach engaging lessons created from research-based, standards aligned, curriculum (UnboundEd for English, Agile Minds for math). These curricula aim to serve as windows and mirrors for our students to help them understand more about the world and themselves.
What is it like to teach with us? Great question! At CIPHS, teachers are afforded the opportunity to teach standard, 50-minute class periods, as well as one longer 90-minute class period in a given week. This allows teachers to get creative with their lessons and take deep dives into content with exploratory lessons, science labs, Socratic Seminars, and other deep intellectual tasks. To prepare adequately for these engaging lessons, teachers at CIPHS can expect about three planning periods in a day, as well as time to collaborate with colleagues on their grade level and within content team meetings. Working together, CIPHS teachers create dynamic and engaging lessons that build scholars' intellectual curiosity and prepare them for college and career. Courses offered include but are not limited to:
- Algebra I & II
- Intensive Algebra
- Advanced Math
- A.P. Calculus
- Advanced Quantitative Reasoning
What You’ll Be Asked To Do
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students
- Create academically rigorous and culturally relevant lesson plans, materials, and assessments, and differentiate as needed
- Teach engaging, rigorous, and relevant lessons daily
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including scholars, families, and staff
- Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures, and procedures while reflecting on one’s own implicit biases
- Reflect on various data sources to improve your practice
- Take on a proactive role in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented and fun school that supports the needs of students of various abilities and experiences
What You’ll Need
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
- Bachelor's degree required; we offer $2,000 towards the completion of a Masters degree and NY State certification within two years of employment
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Culturally responsive and age appropriate conflict resolution skills
- Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
Who Are You?
You’re all in. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. Our work is high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. You work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Who Are We?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including:
- 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school
- 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role. Starting teachers salaries range from $60,000-$80,000, based on experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Teachers are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology, resources, and hugs needed to succeed in the classroom.
Are you “All In?” Our school years starts August 2020. Head to our Careers Page and apply today!
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.
Back to top