Lead Data Engineer (Core Java)
comScore is a data company. We collect and process 60+ billion events each day, have 10s of petabytes online and each month our processes read nearly an exabyte. We use this capability to provide our clients with deep insights that no other company can match. Data Engineering is the team responsible for managing this vast dataset. We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join our team.
What our team does:
We build data processing pipelines that handle 100+ terabyte datasets. We automate as much as we can so that we can stay focused on writing code. We troubleshoot and quickly resolve issues. We work with Analysts and Data Scientists to design and implement new methodology.
As a staff engineer, you're a senior individual contributor, who is well-versed in design, proof of concept development, methodology and architecture. Your previous big data experience will have been on production products delivered on systems such as Hadoop.
What you bring:
- 10+ years of professional programming experience
- You have a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- You write good code and take pride in that fact regardless of which language you are currently using
- You have a strong affinity towards working with data
- You enjoy working as a member of team and consider feedback a learning opportunity
- You are comfortable in an environment that values quickly providing our customers with solutions
- You have an innate drive to grow and develop
The following are considered a plus:
- You treat performance as a feature not an afterthought
- You have experience writing analytical queries that run on MPP databases
- You are comfortable reading query execution plans
- You can describe multiple MapReduce join strategies and their tradeoffs
- You have experience scaling Machine Learning algorithms in a distributed environment
Technologies we use:
(Previous experience in these technologies is not required. This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a new challenge.)
- Hadoop - MapR, Apache Pig, Spark, HBase,Java, SQL (CTEs, window functions, UDFs, etc.)
- An internal framework for job scheduling and execution (similar to AirFlow)
- Scala and Spark for data processing
- Java and JVM, for running code on Spark
About comScore: comScore, Inc. (OTC: SCOR) is a leading cross-platform measurement company that precisely measures audiences, brands and consumer behavior everywhere.
comScore completed its merger with Rentrak Corporation in January 2016, to create the new model for a dynamic, cross-platform world. Built on precision and innovation, our unmatched data footprint combines proprietary digital, TV and movie intelligence with vast demographic details to quantify consumers' multiscreen behavior at massive scale. This approach helps media companies monetize their complete audiences and allows marketers to reach these audiences more effectively. With more than 3,200 clients and global footprint in more than 75 countries, comScore is delivering the future of measurement. For more information on comScore, please visit comscore.com.
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Lead Data Engineer (Core Java)
Req ID: 20091
Meet Some of comScore's Employees
Ian works to create rich custom data analytics for comScore clients across a variety of verticals, each with unique needs—providing Ian with plenty of complex challenges.
Back to top