Staff/Mgr Product Designer
- New York, NY
At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Design at Compass - Staff IC and Design Manager
Designers lead the full lifecycle of their designs across all platforms, collaborate with product managers on strategy, participate in research to test and validate designs, and consult with engineering to make everything come to life.
About the Role
We’re a rapidly growing team in Product Design, divided into feature teams: Productivity, Search & Listings, Core Experience, Transaction Tools, CRM, E3 (New Product Strategy & Concepts), Onboarding and Design Systems.
This role will be joining the team responsible as a recognized Staff IC and Design Manager working in close partnership with fellow Design leaders and staff. Our teams work on creating the components, patterns, interactions, and behaviors that define our systems and underpin our product's user experience. It’s an exciting role, where you’ll have to cater to two types of users:
- Working with our internal teams and Design leaders to build products that are suited to the customer and can scale rapidly. A lot of your work will involve cross-functional collaboration to ensure teams are well supported and have what they need to design their features.
- Our end-users/customers, Compass agents, their clients, and prospects who use our product and, ultimately, the building blocks you create for our feature teams.
What We Look For:
We’re looking for a proven designer that also has a demonstrated history in design leadership of team and work. You’re a self-starting designer leader who actively looks for ways to substantially improve our design experience. You are confident in your craft and grow others along the way.
You have proven ability to engage as an active member of the design team as well as guide and work in close partnership with fellow designers, design directors, research team, program managers and related product owners. You participate in strategic thinking and are comfortable thinking two or three quarters ahead.
You have pixel-perfect standards with exceptional interaction design skills and an eye for accessibility and usability. You’ll work with front-end and UX engineers to ensure your designs are implemented perfectly.
You love leading concepts and taking people along for the ride as a mentor and manager. You share your and grow our design processes in a way that helps others grow.
You are strong at identifying common design patterns throughout web and native mobile platforms and an understanding of how to implement these patterns into our system.
You enjoy writing as a form of communication. You have past experience in writing design documentation that is easy for the reader to consume and understand.
Above all, you’re an advocate for consistency with enough flexibility to accommodate critiques and change in a rapid identification environment.
What You Get To Do Every Day:
- As a Staff IC and Design Manager., you will own design components from concept to code knowing nothing is ever really final.
- Partner with research, engineering and related product teams to realize our designs on all platforms that serve our customers.
- Be constantly on the lookout for best practices, design patterns and anti-patterns, throughout various industries and platforms.
- Participate in sprint planning and quarterly roadmap discussions.
- Be a key player and leader on a small but mighty team making a huge impact
- Develop and grow subject matter expertise of the Real Estate space
- Lead development and execution of a cross-platform UX strategy
- Coach, manage, and hire designers with different skill sets and technical areas of expertise
- Establish operational processes and mechanisms to support successful cross-disciplinary team partnership and coordination.
- At least 7-10+ years experience in product design
- At least 3-5+ years experience in managing product designers
- Ability to take a project from ideation to completion at scale speed
- Knowledge of modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns and design tools
- Flourishes in an environment of continuous learning and eager to advance your craft further
- Strong technical background with an understanding of the basics
- Ability to communicate and collaborate on cross-functional teams
- Excellent written communication and compelling presentation style that helps you get buy-in for your ideas
- Deep experience working within a technical, agile environment
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment at a rapidly evolving organization
At Compass, we believe that everyone deserves to find their place in the world — a place where they feel like they belong, where they can be their authentic selves, where they can thrive. Our collaborative, energetic culture is grounded in our Compass Entrepreneurship Principles and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, growth and mobility. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer competitive compensation packages, robust benefits and professional growth opportunities aimed at helping to improve our employees' lives and careers.
Back to top