Staff Backend Engineer - Identity Team
- New York, NY
At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile, and AI technologies enable.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2021.
About The Role:
Compass’ Identity Team is building Compass’ Identity Service as a core, tier-1 system at the center of this platform. Our mission is to provide a seamless sign-up, login, and authentication experience for every user of our growing number of products and web services, including agents, consumers, staff and, eventually, 3rd party developers. We’re also developing the foundation of what will become a platform solution for Team Collaboration at Compass. This is a challenging and complex initiative that tackles authorization across a wide range of heterogenous resources and sharing paradigms that agents are accustomed to working with. Operational excellence is required; Security, performance, and availability at scale can’t be compromised.
You are a senior software engineer who is passionate about creating a fantastic user experience and you feel it is critical that your voice is heard in product and business decisions. You love to learn, and equally love to share your knowledge with others. You are a great communicator and you take care to understand before making yourself understood. You will participate in all aspects of our development and provide expertise on architecture decisions we’ll need to make to solve organizational problems.
Your code is architected for modularity and re-use. You have strong opinions on code structure and style.
At Compass You Will:
- Build the front door to the Compass platform -- and some core and game-changing tools that come with it
- Work cross functionally with Product & Engineering, IT and Security teams to operate a secure, scalable and performant system
- Flex (or grow) your GoLang muscles with opportunities to implement some Serverless automation as necessary too!
- Join a great team with a lot of visibility and some challenging projects on the horizon
What We're Looking For:
- BS in CS or EE or equivalent
- Track record as a technical leader with cross-team impact
- 6+ years of experience writing complete, well-tested, database-driven web applications
- 6+ years of experience programming in languages like Java, Python, and Go (we use all three here at Compass)
- Experience designing larger systems: particularly web services and RESTful APIs, microservice architectures, and data ingestion with a particular emphasis of industry-standard best practices
- An understanding of the Identity and Access Management space
- In-depth understanding and hands-on experience with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Memcached
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, and Kinesis
- Experience with Kafka and event-driven systems
- A security-minded engineer. You are familiar with application security vulnerabilities and remediation techniques.
Check out our Engineering blog
At Compass, we believe that everyone deserves to find their place in the world — a place where they feel like they belong, where they can be their authentic selves, where they can thrive. Our collaborative, energetic culture is grounded in our Compass Entrepreneurship Principles and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, growth and mobility. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer competitive compensation packages, robust benefits and professional growth opportunities aimed at helping to improve our employees' lives and careers.
Back to top