Senior User Researcher
Compass is a technology-driven real estate platform that provides comprehensive brokerage services, combining exceptional agents with thoughtfully crafted digital products to make the process of buying, selling, or renting a home intelligent, deliberate, and seamless.
At Compass we’re building a design culture focused on user experience. Understanding people’s behaviors, needs and the way they work is critical to building successful products. As a Senior User Researcher, you’ll join group of talented individuals tasked with delivering an exceptional user experience for diverse stakeholders across many digital products and devices. In this role, you’ll cultivate and expand the user research competency within the broader User Experience team. You’ll nurture empathy and understanding for real estate agents and their clients as well as new customers learning about the home buying and selling process.
At Compass You Will:
- Lead the discovery, prototyping and iteration phases of each project: conducting research, gathering requirements from internal stakeholders and end-users, and analyzing behavioral data from primary research
- Assume overall responsibility for research methodologies that are leveraged and incorporated throughout the software development lifecycle, incorporating end-user data and feedback into each iteration of the development process
- Employ a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques, including contextual inquiry, moderated/unmoderated studies, usability testing, A/B testing, ethnography, surveys, expert interviews and persona development
- Plan, design, and conduct up-front product opportunity research, surveys, lab-based and field usability evaluation of products and prototypes; test UX flows at different stages of the development lifecycle using wireframes, functional mockups, full websites experiences, etc.
- Effectively synthesize research findings into actionable insights and guidance for the product management and UX/design teams through the use of personas, mental models, customer journeys, usability reports, etc. You will then communicate these insights broadly throughout R&D, the executive team, support staff, and our agents in order to educate and drive awareness; if you are successful, this guidance will meaningfully influence feature product ideation, prioritization and development by identifying and answering key questions about user needs, behaviors and benefits
- Implement scalable, ongoing user testing of live products to report on potential barriers to adoption/engagement, all aspects of usability, and opportunities for improvement, both from a UX and product/feature perspective
- Build productive relationships with product managers, designers, developers, agents and staff across the company so that you can act both as a preferred collaborator in developing great products and as a well-informed advocate for the user
What We Look For:
- 5+ years of UX research experience in software or web product development where user adoption and engagement were top priorities
- Bachelor's or Advanced Degree in a field such as Cognitive Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Engineering Psychology, or equivalent experience
- High proficiency in planning, designing, recruiting for, and moderating research activities
- Expertise in scoping research projects and determining the appropriate qualitative and quantitative research methods to apply
- Familiarity with all aspects of the product development lifecycle, including up-front research and discovery, definition, and analysis of requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including technical developers, business leaders, and end users
- Demonstrated experience conducting research throughout an agile software development process
- A trusted, strategic partner to product stakeholders who can deliver insights that lead to demonstrable business value
- Ability to articulate findings from user research to design, engineering and product leadership and the temperament to be a strong advocate for the role of research in product management
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
See Inside the Office of Compass
Started in 2013, Compass began with the mission to simplify the process of buying, selling, or renting a home. Co-founders Robert Reffkin and Ori Allon set out to revolutionize real estate through a simple, technology-powered platform that was transparent and efficient for every single user. After revolutionizing the New York market, Compass expanded to D.C., Maryland, and Virginia—and has plans to continue expanding nationwide.
Back to top