Senior Product Design Manager
- Hyderabad, India
Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers and sellers through technology. Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile and AI technologies enable.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2020.
Design at Compass
Compass is a real estate platform that provides comprehensive brokerage services, combining exceptional agents with thoughtfully crafted digital products to make the process of buying, selling, or renting a home intelligent, deliberate, and seamless.
Designers at Compass lead the complete lifecycle of their products across multiple platforms, collaborating with product management on strategy, partnering with research to understand customer needs and identify viable solutions, and working closely with engineering to make everything come to life.
About the role
At Compass, Product Design is divided into feature teams: Productivity, Search and Listings, and Design Systems, with designers across the U.S. and internationally, in Hyderabad, India.
We’re looking for a talented and experienced design manager to lead a small but growing team in India responsible for our mobile and client-facing feature areas. Designers on this team work on a mix of team and client collaboration, productivity tools and communication mechanisms that are core to real estate transactions. These feature areas play a crucial role in the success of our platform, requiring simple and memorable workflows for our customers to navigate and use.
It’s an exciting role where you'll have an opportunity to help shape our experience strategy, foster agile and design thinking processes, and coach a growing team of talented product designers to hone their craft.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an experienced design leader with a proven track record of concepting, building, and launching successful mobile and desktop applications. You’re able to comfortably promote and practice a lean user-centered design process—as we move fast!
You’re a systems thinking designer who looks to quantitative and qualitative data to iteratively improve and can strategically partner with cross-discipline leads to shape and steward our customer experiences. You work collaboratively across product, research, and engineering teams to define and synthesize complex feature requirements, and support product roadmap and project planning.
Our ideal candidate is well-versed and practiced in speaking to audiences of any size, whether it’s for a workshop to a large team or an executive presentation to key stakeholders for a strategic design review.
As a manager, you’ll coach and direct designers to produce thoughtful, high-quality deliverables and support efficient development workflows. You have pixel-perfect standards with exceptional interaction design skills and an eye for accessibility and usability. You enjoy seeing designers mature and are comfortable with creating career development plans for them to grow.
You’re persuasive and are able to drive influence in sensitive situations. You understand that getting people to see your side of things while protecting relationships is key to gaining acceptance and affecting change. Above all, you’re an advocate for consistency with enough flexibility to accommodate critique and change.
What you get to do every day:
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to direct reports
- Be proactive in identifying and clearing roadblocks for the team
- Excel at getting the team to focus on the highest impact projects
- Regularly interact with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, and/or departments
- Set clear expectations for team members and solicit, synthesize, and deliver feedback
- Build and develop a product design team while clearing roadblocks and effectively prioritizing team resources
- Learn how to lead, coach, and inspire a team of professionals
- Ensure your team consistently delivers simple, elegant, creative, cohesive product designs and drive those principles across the organization
- Be accountable for high-level key metrics and user experience measures
- Create and drive standards for our product through cross-functional communication
- Demonstrate expertise in our product line, review new business and use-case challenges
- Identify the need to consider new approaches, encourage innovation and make it safe to "fail"
- Inspire others by interpreting and communicating a clear vision, making courageous decisions, and executing in a way consistent with our values
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- At least 10 years experience and proven track record in product design
- 5+ years experience managing product designers
- Experience designing and iterating on mobile experiences leading to a higher quality and more consistent product design
- Excellent written communication and compelling presentation style that helps you get buy-in for your ideas
- Deep experience working within a technical, agile environment
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment at a rapidly evolving organization
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Back to top