Senior Engineering Manager, Search Infrastructure
Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers and sellers through technology. Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the “Artificial Intelligence” that cloud, mobile and AI technologies enable. We are building AI to empower AI - Artificial Intelligence to empower Agent Intelligence.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform real estate. In 2019 we will triple the size of our engineering team and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization.
About the Role
Real estate is fundamentally about matching demand with supply. Search represents the demand side of that economic equation. The Search team at Compass is building the world’s best real estate search experience for both agents and consumers. The Search Infrastructure team owns a highly scalable search backend that indexes real estate listings data and makes this best-in-class search experience possible.
As the Engineering Manager of the Search Infrastructure team, you will lead the team to build and scale a state-of-the-art search backend that powers search throughout the Compass platform. You will work closely with our product team to bring our search vision to life for both agents and consumers. You will use your strong technical skills to mentor team members and drive engineering excellence. You find immense value in the success of your team, emphasizing collaboration and facilitating continuous learning and improvement for the team and its members. You believe in continuously improving operational processes and procedures.
At Compass You Will:
- Be a subject matter expert in real estate search.
- Lead the effort in developing new features on our search platform.
- All aspects of real estate, including search are hyper local. You and your team will enable Compass to rapidly expand to new markets and ensure that the inventory in those markets is searchable.
- Make direct technical contributions to ongoing projects.
- Lead and mentor engineers and tech leads.
- Foster excellent work environment and a fast-paced engineering culture of continuous data-driven improvement.
- Contribute to building top quality engineering teams and technology practices.
What We Look For:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience, MS/PhD preferred
- 5+ years of software engineering experience and 2+ years of management experience
- A highly technical, hands-on developer and an effective people manager with experience directly leading teams
- Experience in designing, developing, and maintaining highly scalable distributed backend systems on public clouds (e.g. AWS). Prior search backend experience, particularly Elasticsearch is highly preferred.
- Proven track record of agile management with multiple engineering teams and products
- Excellent communication skills, utilized to collaborate both within Engineering and across all functions of the company to drive engineering initiatives
- Excellent mentoring and review skills to help engineers make technical and career progress
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Check out our Engineering blog!
Back to top