At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers and sellers through technology. Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile and AI technologies enable.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2020.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place. Our entrepreneurship principles bind us together and inform how we tackle the tremendous challenges ahead.
About the Role
The Search Services squad within Search Infrastructure is responsible for powering search features across the entire suite of Compass real estate tools. This is the team that develops REST APIs for search used by a wide variety of front-end components across the Compass website and mobile apps. These APIs include functionality for finding, paginating, sorting, clustering and boosting accurate search results in both list and map contexts.
We are building a best-in-class platform that will launch many new products and features that real estate agents can’t live without. Working on the Search Infrastructure team will give you the opportunity to play a key role in establishing game changing capabilities to an already impressive product. You will be instrumental in developing this platform by improving search quality, increasing accuracy, boosting performance, and bringing down costs. You will also work closely with the product and client-side teams that leverage the Search platform to deliver delightful user experiences.
At Compass You Will:
- Build, develop and scale our platform that powers real estate agents, buyers and sellers
- Be a domain expert on real estate technology and products and an empathetic partner to our customers
- Inspire, recruit and mentor your engineering colleagues
- Operate in a scalable engineering culture that leverages modern principles of distributed systems and automated CI/CD/testing/monitoring to drive efficiencies
What We Look For:
- BS or MS in CS or EE or equivalent
- Track record as a technical leader with cross-team impact
- 7+ years of experience writing complete, well-tested, and performant search applications
- Experience designing, refactoring, and extending large search systems: particularly RESTful APIs, micro-service architectures, and search methodologies
- Understanding of and adherence to industry-standard best practices in software development and architecture, particularly CI/CD
- Experience using a data-driven approach to reduce p99/95 latencies from initial request to final response
- In-depth understanding and hands on experience with Elasticsearch is a plus