- New York, NY
CommonBond is the award-winning fintech company where people come first. Our approach is no big secret: lower rates, simpler options, and a world-class experience to support people throughout their student loan journey. Plus, every time we fund a degree we also pay for a child’s education through our Social Promise. Since our launch in 2012, we’ve funded over $4 billion in student loans and we’ve helped our members save over $1 billion.
As an engineer with CommonBond, you'll be an essential contributor to the capabilities, performance, and security of our platform. We build software that supports billions of dollars in education finance every year. In this role, we’ll rely on you to contribute to all aspects of our technology, including building microservices to support new features, creating new user experiences, and scripting for efficiencies in our back-office operations. It’s also an opportunity to influence the culture of our technology team and the processes that help us build world-class software.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of ~20 people (and growing!). We’re organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. Teams operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals.
You will be contributing to our inclusive environment, fostering a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure you are able to grow as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and a team of amazing in-office and remote colleagues, plus generous benefits including comprehensive healthcare, student loan reimbursement, a flexible time off policy, paid parental leave, volunteer time off and access to professional development instruments.
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing, testing, and optimizing applications that serve our customers, partners, and internal users.
- Collaborating with other engineers to break down large problems into a set of small, executable tasks.
- Working with a product team to understand requirements and priorities, and communicating progress on execution and delivery.
- Owning the execution process with the rest of the engineering team, including documentation, reviews, and testing.
- Communicate delivered business value to stakeholders regularly.
- Influencing our identity as a tech organization through involvement in guilds and by holding yourself and your peers accountable to our engineering principles.
What you’ll be working with:
- Testing stack information: Cucumber, Kotlin, Java, Selenium, Jenkins, Saucelabs
- More stack information: https://stackshare.io/companies/commonbond
- A team of passionate, curious, and innovative professionals
What you’ll bring:
- Proven ability to write production-grade software, whether through education or practical experience
- Understanding of agile processes and the impact of self-organizing teams
- Appreciation for automated testing
- Excitement to write code that makes a difference
- An appetite for ongoing learning and growth and sharing knowledge with peers
Our Engineering values:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the software we build has real-world consequences and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
You can work in our New York City HQ; or remotely from anywhere in the US (EST working hours). Due to the on-going pandemic of COVID-19, if you choose to work from our NYC HQ, it is likely that you’ll start working remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top