Product Manager, Internal Tools
CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
Creating a robust tech-powered organization is essential to our success. By playing an integral role in product management, you can expect to have ownership over building new products, solving for challenges we face as a company, creating products that help people, and supporting an incredible social mission.
In terms of technology, we are utilizing a fully Restful SOA based architecture in Java, allowing our internal and external clients to consume an API that is extensible, fast and maintainable. We believe in service oriented architecture and consistently think on those terms.
We are seeking a highly talented Internal Tools Product Manager with entrepreneurial instincts, a strong sense of product, and a desire to build something from the ground up. This person will have the opportunity to impact all levels of our technology and executive teams as well as the broader enterprise as we continue to successfully scale our venture.
- Own, lead and enhance a process to align the business and technology components of our business, inclusive of goal setting, planning, and prioritization
- Lead executive reporting and communications for the technology organization
- Own the strategic vision of our data and data processing infrastructure
- Own and manage the software development and release management process for all of our engineering teams and products
- Lead a weekly scrum of scrums and be a champion for efficient cross-team coordination
- Project manage ongoing IT projects and systems including:
- Sales and marketing technology (CRM, email, sms and telemarketing…)
- Security and compliance technology
- Infrastructure including disaster recovery and availability planning
- Individual contributor that will grow into a leadership role
- 3+ years of product management experience
- 2 years of being a Scrum master
- 1 year of JIRA expertise and reporting
- 1 year of release coordination with devops, product, developers, QA and business stakeholders
- Experienced in data analysis and SQL
- Strong interest in our mission and vision, and opinions on the fundamentals that drive our industry
- Strong use of analytics, user research and business cases to drive decisions and improve products
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- Self-starter and very comfortable setting your own agenda
- Despite being a self-starter, you’re a collaborator at heart. You understand how trade-offs are made to optimize outcomes across business objectives and you use great communication skills to get buy-in for your recommended processes
- Roll-up-your-sleeves mentality – we’re a small team (at least until you join), and everyone including our executive team gets their hands dirty to get stuff done.
- Expert multi-tasking – you’ll be going after multiple opportunities every hour of every day. You will remain undaunted, organized and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop. You will know how to ruthlessly prioritize your time
- Professional but not stuffy – we’re sharp and competent but also fun
- Sense of urgency – you want to “go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!”
- Nimble – able to handle changing tasks and priorities and adapt quickly
Meet Some of CommonBond's Employees
Acquisition Marketing Analyst
Marco reports on business details to ramp up marketing efforts across the board. He helps the team get the most from its campaigns without breaking the bank.
Back to top