General Manager, In-School
CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
CommonBond is seeking an entrepreneurial leader to be the General Manager of our Student Lending product. This role will oversee our student loan product that offers students and their parents a more affordable, transparent and customer-friendly loan to pay for college.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for the product’s P&L, focusing on driving cost-efficient growth, building and leading a team, and working cross-functionally with our Product, Technology, Marketing, Business Development, Operations, Finance and Risk teams to deliver an industry-best customer experience for students and parents.
The GM of Student Lending will be:
- Experienced business builder: You’ve been in leadership roles where you brought a product to market and had success. You demonstrate a bias for action and getting things done quickly and thoughtfully.
- Customer Focused: You live to deliver a better experience for customers. Particularly in the student loan industry where customers face high rates, confusing processes, and poor customer service, you put the customer at the forefront with the knowledge that great business results will follow. You’re someone who wants to talk to customers, synthesize learnings, and develop solutions to solve their problems.
- Growth-Focused: You have a track record of driving rapid growth in your career both directly as an operator as well as in partnership with other teams. You think daily about what your team and the company can be doing to drive growth.
- Effective Communicator: You are as effective directly managing a team as you are working with cross-functional partners. You enjoy working with team members to work towards a common cause and have a track record of leading through influence. You are a strong verbal and written communicator across both formal (presentations) and informal (team meetings) interactions.
- Creative: You don’t take “because it’s always been done that way” as a reason to do something. Challenging the status quo will require creative thinking to come to new solutions. You’ll embrace that while focusing on bringing out creative solutions from your team as well.
- Problem Solver: You know that identifying problems is easy and you instead focus your time on solving them, whether that means finding a solution through research, number-crunrching, cross-team collaboration, or implementing manual solutions, you do what it takes to solve the problem at hand.
- Data-Driven: You are deeply data driven and like getting your hands on the data to run your own analyses to test hypotheses, look for trends, and solve problems. Most importantly, you seek data that can drive swift action.
- Team Leader: You have directly managed teams and have a history ofinspiring them. You are diligent about soliciting feedback (positive and constructive) for you and those you manage because you know that’s how we collectively get better. You are comfortable knowing the buck stops with you and relish the challenge of leading a small but nimble team to compete and win.
- 10+ years professional B2C experience, including leadership experience in a rapid growth startup or product
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and facilitate cross-functional teams
Meet Some of CommonBond's Employees
CEO & Cofounder
David runs the CommonBond gamut, ensuring the team creates internal conditions and ideas that foster external success. He also helps launch new programs to build out the business.
Back to top