- New York, NY
CommonBond is the award-winning fintech company where people come first. Our approach is no big secret: lower rates, simpler options, and a world-class experience to support people throughout their student loan journey. Plus, every time we fund a degree we also pay for a child’s education through our Social Promise. Since our launch in 2012, we’ve funded over $4 billion in student loans and we’ve helped our members save over $1 billion.
As an Engineering Manager with CommonBond, you'll be an essential contributor to the capabilities, performance, and security of our platform. We build software that supports billions of dollars in education finance every year. In this role, we’ll rely on you to contribute to all aspects of our technology, including building microservices to support new features, creating new user experiences, and scripting for efficiencies in our back-office operations. It’s also an opportunity to influence the culture of our technology team and the processes that help us build world-class software.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of ~20 people (and growing!). We’re organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. Teams operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals.
You will be contributing to our inclusive environment, fostering a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure you are able to grow as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and a team of amazing in-office and remote colleagues, plus generous benefits including comprehensive healthcare, student loan reimbursement, a flexible time off policy, paid parental leave, volunteer time off and access to professional development instruments.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborating with other engineering leaders to define key aspects of the architecture of the company's web, mobile, and backend products.
- Actively participating in and manage all phases of development from ideation to post- deployment issue resolution.
- Work closely with our leadership team to develop a software roadmap for future features and improvements.
- Ensuring your team meets deadlines and launch dates through an effective sprint planning process and daily standups.
- Focus on high quality, high-velocity project delivery, maintaining the balance between maximizing business impact and minimizing technical debt.
- Actively participate in the hiring process as both an interviewer and decision maker
What you’ll be working with:
- Testing stack information: Cucumber, Kotlin, Java, Selenium, Jenkins, Saucelabs
- More stack information: https://stackshare.io/companies/commonbond
- A team of passionate, curious, and innovative professionals
What you’ll bring:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 2+ years of Engineering Management experience building productive, high-functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high-functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You are adept at explaining complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Facilitate multi-functional partnership between engineers, product managers, and designers to build innovative and user-friendly products.
- You have mastered the art of requirements-gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- You can contemplate several, often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with
- other stakeholders. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You have a persistent/determined work ethic and a willingness to try anything and everything.
Our Engineering values:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the software we build has real-world consequences and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project
- contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
You can work in our New York City HQ; or remotely from anywhere in the US (as long as you work east coast hours). As a heads up, due to the on-going pandemic of COVID-19, if you choose to work from our NYC HQ, it is likely that you’ll start working remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top